What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage Fiberglass 9A

Kimmer

I'm New Here
At Jeff R's suggestion am here looking for suggestions on getting the fiberglass work underway and having no such prior experience. In northwestern Montana I'm a long way from looking at other projects. Perhaps you know of a builder that has put up some good general fiberglass info on a web site.

The rudder bottom R911 is marked for notching out to accept the rudder horn. The mark also extends along the bottom to the trailing edge and also kind of swaggles around the leading edge of that piece. Initially, because the mark paralleling the R918 attach strip matched the amount of protrusion of the attach strip it did not occur to me that it would be trimmed as marked. On more examination I am tempted to trim it as maybe it was added
only for production purposes. 'Sure would hate to goof this up!

'Would much appreciate any insites you gained in your experience!

TIA
Kimmer
Thompson Falls, MT

Bummer, you didn't post this last week. My wife and I were up at our retirement property at cabin creek landing and just flew home(KHLN)from Kalispell(s27) today. If I could have figured out a way around, over or thru the Fire TFR's, I would have stopped by. I haven't done any of my RV fiberglass, but have some glassing experience and may have been able to help. I'll be going back in September to work on the Tower, maybe Ill swing by.

I'm waiting until the rudder is mounted on the planes fuselage before I do the fianl trimming - something I heard.

Kimmer,

Check out my site, there are some pictures and explanation of how I did mine.

As recommended above, I would wait until you have your plane assembled. Also, the rudder bottom has to be modified a good bit, if you are building a -9 as the TW spring is in the way of the rudder bottom. Not a big deal but something you should be aware of.

Back