What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage fairings - Step 1

ERushing

Well Known Member
OK... I'm probably making too much of this as usual.

I started squaring up the edge with a razor blade and gelcoat went flying. Figured I'd take a step back and ask the braintrust. I searched and couldn't come up with any previous questions on this (leading me back to my conclusion in my first statement) but...

How did you square the molded recess up? Do you take it back until there's no rounded edge left?

Thanks for your help!

It's been a while, but I think I used wood sanding block with a nice sharp edge. I didn't dwell on it much to be honest. Just a few passes to insure there was some definition in the recess and pressed on.

You're probably not going to get that close a fit on it all the way around anyway. I used a dental tool to remove any bumps (only found a couple) and then fit it in place as is and found it to be pretty tight all around. Fill, if you must, before paint.

Permagrit

I bought he Permagrit tools. The flat tool lays right in the jiggle and a couple of side to side motions make a nice square corner. Worth every penny for working with fiberglass...

Back