What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage done

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
Well gang we finally got the elevators done. Yes had a issues but overall I am pleased with the results.
Issues.
Bending the skins. by your self.... not recommended.
Got all the tape in place and with the other skin already bent it is very hard to insert the pipe under the skin. If I do this again. I will bend the bottom skin first then do the top. Well I tried this too and still have the same problem.
We ended up putting a few extra rivets in the middle section of the overlaps on the skins. We divided the distance between the predrilled holes and added about 6 more.
Came out looking great and the skins lay down together.
Do not cut the lead on the elevator tips until you are ready to paint. Having the electric servo and so the weight as is, is about perfect on the left side.

Ordered the wings. Lights etc yesterday... 8 weeks lead time.
I am thinking I'll wet sand all the pieces done and get all the tips fitted and epoxyed in place and then prime all the pieces. That way their done until I install them.
Pictures are uploaded to web shots
Empenage done
wings ordered.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/579665919lGvLyE?vhost=rides
Flop tube or not? I have heard they dry out and need replaced and unless your doing inverted or constant negative flight really not needed.

Last edited:
Back