What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage done

Jeff R

Well Known Member
Though I have already started on the wings, I still had a few things to do on the empennage pieces, but that is done now. Today I wrapped them up for storage (I used the brown paper that came with the wing kit) and am now devoted 100% on the wings. I almost feel like I went from being a lowly Freshman to a becoming a Sophomore in the Van's correspondance school of airplane building.

I did my first screw thread tapping this evening which turned out fine, finishing up the tie down attachment plates. I was a little apprehensive of tapping the holes but it was no problem. I used a cheap tap and die set I picked up at Harbor Freight for $15 on sale, and it did the job, though the second hole went a lot slower than the first. I assume the bit was already getting dull. I will probably take it back for that reason.

After making sure I knew which end was which with the main spars, things are proceeding a lot faster than with the tail.

Oh, my main spar countersinking of the platenut screw holes went off great. What I did was to rivet the platenuts, then I set up the countersink tool with a #30 countersinking bit, just as Van's says. I cut off a screwhead of a #8 screw to set the depth of the countersink, and I used the cordless drill rather than the air drill, as recommended here. I did find, however, that I got excellent results by ending each countersink using a higher speed. I got nearly perfect countersinks without any chatter this way. I was surprised how well it all came. out.

Thanks to all who helped.

Building the wings was satisfying...

I found building the wings to be very satisfying-
1. they're big
2. you have a clue
3. they're big

Good Job.

Rudder Bottom R911

Jeff,
I'm just finishing my 9A empennage with the fiberglass yet to do. The rudder bottom R911 is marked for notching out to accept the rudder horn. The mark also extends the full length of the bottom and kind of swaggles around the leading edge of the horn. Was all that fiberglass added for production purposes? That along the full length of the bottom seemed to belong there and I would hate to cut of material that was intended to stay on the rudder bottom.

'Would much appreciate any insites you gained in your experience.

TIA
Kimmer
Thompson Falls, MT

Hi, Timmer,

I am saving the fiberglass work for later, so I can't answer your question. The instructions for the fiberglass work are pretty sparse .... the plans don't even have any mention of the tail lights and how to cut and fit them in. You can probably find help from some of the builder's web sites, or maybe someone will chime in here, or you post the question directly.

Good luck!

When mounting platenuts...

to the wing tie down and tank attack brackets - CENTER THEM IN THE HOLES WITH THE APPROPRIATE BOLT! I drilled the rivet holes for the platenuts using a cleco through the bolt hole but it allowed the platenut to move. The end result: the bolt holes were perfect but the platenuts weren't in line with the bolt holes. :mad: :eek: On the positive side: I get additional experience tapping, drilling, and installing platenuts! :D

Back