What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage bucking bar?

LuisR

Well Known Member
Did you guys use this bucking bar? Says it's especially made for the the 10

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Speci...14-Empennage/productinfo/BBRV10/#.Vy4FiWO7eV4

BBRV10-Large.jpg

Any other bucking bars needed aside from the tungsten?

bbt41_lg.jpg

small Tungsten Bucking Bar
Weighs 1.7 lbs. (heavier than most bars twice the size).
Measures 5/8" x 1" x 4"

I used an assortment, but probably 95% of the time used the tungsten one. If you go with any of the "RV" tool kits out there you get pretty much what you need to add to the tungsten and Emp bars you posted pics of.

Any other bucking bars needed aside from the tungsten?

bbt41_lg.jpg

small Tungsten Bucking Bar
Weighs 1.7 lbs. (heavier than most bars twice the size).
Measures 5/8" x 1" x 4"

Got one of this size and love it. Larry

Rather than purchase the commercial version, I stopped by the local steel supplier and picked up a number of bars, blocks and pieces of scrap. A few minutes with a grinder and I made several custom bucking bars for very few $s.
I second the need for a tungsten bar. I have the one that is angled on one end. The angle has helped many times to get into tight areas.

I used the one from the link, not from your picture. Even used it on a few rivets on the QB fuselage. 99% of the time I'm using the tungsten one... Used it all last week to buck the bottom wing skins... Didn't even drop it once!

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll be adding the special -10 bucking bar including the tungsten. I see footed, and a few others often as well on others build sites. I'll stick to the two above.

Maybe one more?

This past week I completed the rudder and elevators with assistance from Synergy in Oregon.

We mostly used the small tungsten bar and also the special bucking bar you referenced. Additionally, we used a tapered bar for indirect back riveting of the last rivet or two that can't be squeezed as you approach the trailing edge of the control surface. I didn't learn this method at the EAA class (which I found overpriced and way overrated). The Synergy method works great and avoids pulling a blind rivet near the trailing edge.

I'll send you a picture of this bar if you want.

Krea Ellis
RV-10 under construction

Last edited:
what bucking bar did you use for inside the rudder horn?

Hello,

Can you post a pic of the bucking bar and share how you did the skin rivets inside the rudder horn?

Thanks!

Sure

Will try to do this tomorrow night, but if not - will do it this weekend when I return home.

Not sure about your rudder rivet question though. Can you be a bit more spcific please? Thanks.

You can borrow my RV-10 bar too. I don't think I ended up using it at all.
Get the tungsten one for sure, that thing is THE bucking bar.
I didn't sell any of my tools from the build, so if you need to borrow anything just stop by. Some tools I'll part with temporarily :)

Lenny

Check it out

You need to see Lenny's beautiful RV-10. I saw it when I bought the wings and empennage from his next door hangar neighbor at Pompano.

Lenny has some custom features in his 10 that were really well executed.

Krea Ellis

Hope to one day meet some local RV - 10 builder/owners. I got a couple of invites so far but haven't taken them up on it yet. Right now I'm focusing on working to order the tools and first kit at the same time. I'm keeping the motivational meets for the future...the down times...when the build excitement dies down and need another kick start. For now, I just wish for lots of work. Work was slow last week so that puts me behind a bit.

Does Lenny have a build log/site?

Empennage kit

If you are interested in a mostly completed empennage kit, let me know.

Lenny's hangar neighbor built it, I bought it, but for various reasons (I needed to develop the skills to build an RV), I came out to Oregon and built my own.

It's in Georgia, Lenny knows the quality of the build, so you can discuss with him if you have any interest. PM for more info if you like.

No build site, sorry. I know what I'm gonna lure you over with :D I have a Van's build-a-toolbox riveting practice kit for you. Come and pick it up!

Thanks for the kind words Krea.

As to Krea's empennage, my neighbor, Andrew did a great job building it, but then he decided to change careers before he could finish it. Before I met him he sent me a video with him and his girlfriend taking a wing out of the garage. They both had latex gloves on, so they don't leave sweaty fingerprints on the aluminum. :) He alodined and epoxy primed everything, even the countersunk holes.

Lenny

Lenny, lol. Oh ****. Yup. Gonna have to see you sooner than later. I'll send you a pm once the tools are ordered. Right now, just putting in the hours at work to get the cash flowing in a bit quicker. That's the priority untill the first kit arrives. ;-). Only time I put eyes and hands on a -10 was over ten years ago at sun and fun. This just gets me excited. Built an EAA bench couple days ago and the garage is ready for the tools and empennage minus better lighting. Ok ok ok. Enough got to go.

Back