What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage attach

Brucelas

I'm New Here
I am storage space impaired and wondered what others are doing when they get to section 11, empennage attach.
1. do you skip that section until closer to final assembly.
2. complete section 11 and then disassemble for storage
3. complete some of the steps that don't require complete assembly.

Does the same apply to section 12 empennage fairings.

I have the slow build wings waiting to start.

Thanks for any input.

Bruce

Put everything together and complete the section. Consider doing all or a fair amount of Section 12. The Fairings can be done later. A side note, if you get a chance, take the 2 day class offered by Dave at AirCrafters in Watsonville CA. It is great help for ALL the fiberglass work.

Then take it all the sections apart and store them.

The next time you will need any of these parts is the tail section when you do Section 32 Tailcone Attach. That is when you attach the tail cone to the fuselage mid section.

Either Way

Hi Bruce,
To each his own but....I skipped that section when I built my RV10. I don't like to do things twice unless it's absolutely necessary (and many times it is). I'd park the stabs and such somewhere 'safe' and wait till you mount the tailcone to the fuse and get it up on the gear. I find that this will give you a nice stable platform to get the various triangulations/incidence where you want them. Once I mount and rig an empennage I never take it off. Of course, everyone's situation is different (hangar/garage/basement/living room) and you may or may not be able to do this.

So...you can mount it now and take it off to mount the tailcone or you can wait and mount it once.

On the emp fairings......you can work on them now or wait....your choice. I like to wait till the emp is mounted so I can move all the surfaces as I install the fiberglass tips thus get the proper clearances. Again....this way you have a nice stable platform rather than clamping parts to tables and such. Of course....the movable surfaces will have to come off for paint.

Good Luck,

I am storage space impaired and wondered what others are doing when they get to section 11, empennage attach.
1. do you skip that section until closer to final assembly.
2. complete section 11 and then disassemble for storage
3. complete some of the steps that don't require complete assembly.

Does the same apply to section 12 empennage fairings.

I have the slow build wings waiting to start.

Thanks for any input.

Bruce

I used hardware store (non lock nut) fasteners to do the temporary attach. It only takes an hour to take the whole thing apart.

I would not want to leave all the work till the end. The one thing I did not do was rivet the attach points for the trim cablesto the access plates, this will be done at the airport.

I left a piece of tygon tube through the trim cable routing to allow for easy re installation.

Rick,

Are you saying that the Stabs needs to be removed in order to mount the tailcone to the fuse? or is it just much easier that way? I would appreciate the info.
It took my self and one other helper to do just the tail cone easily. It would be a real jigging trick but one person could do it. Part of the problem is working the tail panels into the proper places (under this and over that) on the fuselage.
With the Stabs on, you now have a lot of extra weight that makes it much harder to work the bottom and then the sides of the tail into place. I would say it would take another 3 people to do it easily.

This is all dealing with the mounting of the tail. However there is another aspect that needs to be thought about and that is all the plumbing in the tail section that is much easier done with the stab off such as rudder cables and tail wiring. Its much easier to get into the aft part of the tail with the stab off. The amount of time it takes to take the stab off and put it back on is minor compared to the extra time involved with installing it to the fuselage and the extra time fussing trying to get the rudder cables installed, wiring etc.

Hi Steve,
Again....'either way'....BUT (notice that that's a BIG 'but' :))....it's is a LOT easier to mount the tailcone to the fuse without the stabs in place. I work (mostly) alone and I was able to mount the tailcone to the fuse by myself and would not have been able to do it with the stabs on. Remember...the tailcone is going to installed and removed a couple times to match drill and dimple a few holes. I tried to think ahead and only had to have the tailcone on and off 2 times before it was on for good. The tailcone 'looks' big (and it is :)) but it is not very heavy. I had some 'low' sawhorses and milk crates that I set up beforehand and was able to simply pick up the tailcone and slide it into place by myself....same for removal. Again....once the tailcone is mounted permanent you have a nice stable 'airplane' to mount and rig your emp. My emp never saw the tailcone until the tailcone was riveted to the fuse. If I build another RV10 I wouldn't even consider changing my method.

As far as running wires and such in the tailcone....I'm used to building the 'smaller' RV's and found that the RV10 was like the Hilton Hotel when it came time to do that stuff. I just stood on my trusty milkcrate and worked on it through the (not riveted yet) forward top skin. Once that top skin was in place I just climb in through the baggage door. If you think you're going to be there for awhile there is plenty of room for a plate with a sandwich and some chips/pickles along with a pop :D.

Rick,

Are you saying that the Stabs needs to be removed in order to mount the tailcone to the fuse? or is it just much easier that way? I would appreciate the info.

Stephen Sisca
St. James, NY
tailcone done
wings underway

Last edited:
I agree with Rick's approach.....

I'm just finishing the tailcone myself and already have the other pieces in storage. I'm not planning on mounting them until I move from the garage to the hangar.

This also allows my wife another winter in the garage.

Back