What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage: a tip and a question

flion

Well Known Member
So, I'm fitting up the empennage per section 11. It's been a long, trying day. It took about an hour to bolt the elevator horns together because it was dang impossible (almost) to get the washers in. Then, afterward, I realized that I had blindly followed the instruction sequence instead of using my head. The initial fit of the elevators wasn't that difficult - it was the tight quarters due to the VS and tailcone that was causing my problem. When I remove the HS the elevators will remain attached or, if I remove them, will be fitted before fitting the HS back in place. That's the tip: bolt the elevators in place before attaching the HS.

Now the question: did anyone else have difficulty getting the measurements for the rod ends in the rudder? Mine bottomed out on the jam nuts about a turn before getting 3/4" (maybe 25/32"). I fitted the rudder and it seemed fine - well aligned with the VS and proper deflection - but I have zero room for adjustment. Based on my experience with the -6 rudder I'm not going to worry about it but I just wanted to see if others had noticed this.

Back