What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empenage lower aluminum skirt

Bugsy

Well Known Member
I can't for the life of me find instructions for the empennage lower aluminum skirt F-794A. I wonder if this can be riveted on or does it need to be remove able. Any instructions or pictures much appreciated.

That is drawing page 44 (second to last) on the RV-9A. The skirt is held with screws that are actually tapped into the longeron beyond. (Drill #36 and tap 6-32 is what it says.

Does rubber edge go up against horizontal or do I keep a small gap there for flex

We made the lower skirt and added rubbder channel. We were not happy with the appearance and redid it with fiberglass. We tied the lower skirts into the larger fairing that goes over the vertical tail at the fuselage. I was nervous but it was easy and looks much better. Used existing nut plates and it is removable.
Phelps

The fairings almost fit flush with the HS underside, very little trimming required. There is no room for rubber between the longeron and max HS thickness. Leave a gap of 1/16 or so. the HS is pulled closer when bolted in place. Rivet on the fairings and be done with it; they never need removal.

John Siebolfd

Tap and screw (sts)

Bugsy,
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner, Brother. All the stuff above is good advice. However, I tapped and screwed it on IAW the plans. Doing this came in really handy as I removed the stab and applied the stabilizer SB kit as a preventative measure. Also, I figured I may need to replace the rubber strip some day, so removing the skirt would make that a cleaner method.

I hope command is treating you well, Bugs. Saint Pat's day ain't the same without you and Kathy. :D

I think if we had a contest for weirdest part of an RV-7A, that rubber channel and its associated instructions would be at the top. It's a silly design (you basically cut out the part that actually seems to hold it in place... and you jam it in there as you try to screw the AL in place.

Thanks for the reminder to pull that nonsense off and just go with the AL.

Thanks guys.

Well Scroll, I spent St Patty's day working on the plane. Kathy pushed it up pretty strong with her girl friends.

Back