What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emp Kit

Lionclaw

Well Known Member
My emp kit arrived today, so I'm pretty excted.

Does Vans usually ship in in multiple boxes? I'm starting the inventory process now, and the parts I recieved are mostly ribs and small brackets. I didn't get any of the skins or long structural members. I'm assuming something else might show up tomorrow, but I only recieved one tracking number. No one is answering in their shipping dept atm... so I thought I'd check with ya'll :)

Andy-

It was quite awhile back when I received my Emp Kit, but I do recall at least two boxes.

The skins came is a separate box, as the vertical stabilizer was taped down to maintain its shape. I would check with your shipper.

mine (rv7) was 2 boxes

2451_empennage_kit_arrives.jpg

They arrived March 3rd, 2007 I'm guessing that a new 9/9a tail kit would be about the same for shipping.

Ok, thanks for the quick responses. I just got off the phone with Vans and the rest should be here tomorrow!

I'm realizing just how unprepared I am. Most of my tools are in the mail still, and I need to finish some other projects and build a workbench anyway.

I'm realizing just how unprepared I am.

Don't worry, it isn't a contest :)

If you are feeling unprepared, I would suggest doing a practice project before starting on your tail. For me they were a good confidence builder and chance to make mistakes on something that I won't be flying in someday.

RV Assembly Class

You might consider taking an EAA RV assembly class, as well. They do a great job of walking you through the construction of the Van's practice kit. Giving you pointers and suggestions the entire weekend. After the class I really felt like I had enough know how to plunge into 'real' rivets.

I would love to take a class. I just joined the EAA last night via their website. Last week I went to a meeting with the EAA chapter in Xenia, OH. Next week I'll go out and visit the group in Moraine.

At the very least, I'm hoping I'll be able to find someone to give me some pointers.

All good advice, here's another one: build your VS before the HS, despite what the instruction manual says. There is no dependency between the two, and the VS is much easier.

While waiting

Build your workbenches.
Build the fixtures to hold the HS.
Inventory the emp kit.
Go to the Dollar Store and buy those small clear plastic with blue lid (4oz?) Glad brand containers for rivets and such.

Steve

The VS does look a lot simpler in the plans. That sounds like a good way to go.

My pneumatic squeezer showed up today. I was going to order the adjustable set from avery, but their page says it will only work with yokes that have bases of 1" or less. Mine came with a 1.25" base yoke, so I guess that's a no-go. I could probably make one on the lathe, but I'd need to harden it. I might order some oil hardening drill rod from McMaster and give it a try...

As far as other options... shimming washers? Do I just buy a pack of washers at lowes that will fit? Washer's don't seem like they'd give me a great deal of resolution for spacing the dies...

I have the adjustable set from Avery, with an Avery squeezer. You will need to reset the squeezing distance for every rivet size you squeeze, and each time you dimple. Call Avery to make sure you can't just use the adjustable set they have. It really saves a lot of headaches. It would be a big hassle using washer.

Peter McCoy has it right--Call Bob Avery.

The cheeks on either side of the yoke on my squeezer are roughly flush with the base of the yoke. Yours are higher, as shown in the Ebay ad. You got such a good buy on your squeezer that you can write off the yoke and buy additional yokes and still be $ ahead. When you buy other yokes most of them will have 1" base, so you could use the adjustable set holder with them. And once you get the other yokes, like the 3" and the longeron yoke, you won't have a need for the one that came with your squeezer.

One other thing. You will want the quick change yoke pins that Avery sells, rather than mess around with wrenches to change yokes.

Richard Scott
RV-9A wings ready to close!

Ok, might just go ahead with Avery order #3 (and I haven't even started building yet!).

Longeron Yoke $130
4" No-Hole Yoke $135
Adjustable Set $60
Quick Change Pins $6

Would anyone care to argue that I'd need more? Less?

Longeron Yoke $130
4" No-Hole Yoke $135
Adjustable Set $60
Quick Change Pins $6

That is pretty much the same stuff that I bought. I use them all, and find the squeezer to be the best tool in the shop. Yes, it's more money on tools at this point then the Empennage kit, but it's worth it in the long run.

Call me

I took a class in Indy which is offered about once a month if you can afford the time. Well worth the time and money. If not, call or PM me. I finished the VS and rudder this week on my 9A so I'm just a couple months ahead of you and learning fast. :)

Alan
@ Wright-Patterson
878-6588

E-mail sent sir!

My wife helped me finish taking inventory tonight. Everything was there, EXCEPT the servo kit. It's checked off on the inventory sheet, but is nowhere to be found in either boxes. I called and talked to Barbara in the shipping dept, and she said it should be in a small white box from the manufacturer. My guess is that it somehow just didn't make it into my shipping box, or maybe made it into someone elses box perhaps? So that's a little disheartening - hopefully there won't be any problems getting it sent.

E-mail sent sir!

My wife helped me finish taking inventory tonight. Everything was there, EXCEPT the servo kit. It's checked off on the inventory sheet, but is nowhere to be found in either boxes. I called and talked to Barbara in the shipping dept, and she said it should be in a small white box from the manufacturer. My guess is that it somehow just didn't make it into my shipping box, or maybe made it into someone elses box perhaps? So that's a little disheartening - hopefully there won't be any problems getting it sent.

Vans seems to be very good about packing the correct stuff in the boxes. After receiving the empannage and wings, only one small piece of aluminum was missing fronm the wing kit. Not bad considering all the parts that have been shipped. Sorry to hear about the servo missing.

Which RV are you building - -9 or -9A?

Going for the 9A slider at this point. There might be a tail wheel plane waiting for me at some point in my future, but I'm certainly not ready for it yet.

E-mail sent sir!

The same issue with my Emp kit + the top VS rib was missing. One phone call and about 1 week later another box with the servo kit and the missing rib. I'm happy with the service!

Back