What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emp. Complete!

pilot28906

Well Known Member
:D As of last night I finished the tail kit on the RV7(A) inculding fairings (except the rudder bottom). Now it's on to the slow build wings. It is nice to get something complete.

congrats..I am only one or two sessions away from this too. Putting the final touches on rolling the leading edges of the last elevator.. Haven't decided yet it I am going to go ahead with the tips or wait til later.

:D As of last night I finished the tail kit on the RV7(A) inculding fairings (except the rudder bottom). Now it's on to the slow build wings. It is nice to get something complete.
Congratulations John! Completing the first subkit is a particularly satisfying milestone and confidence builder. Just a suggestion. Why not go ahead and complete the fiberglass work with each subkit as you go along? Doing so will give you progressively more experience working with fiberglass, whether or not you make all tips removable with screws and nutplates like I did. Then, later on you won't risk getting burned out by having to do so much fiberglass work at one time.

2rw6trs.jpg

Thanks

I did complete all fiberglass work on the tail except the bottom one on the rudder. I will put a light in this one and decided to wait until later to do this one. My thinking is the same as yours that I will do the fiberglass work on each sub kit so there will not be as much to do at the end of the project. I used West resin and hardener with 410 fill to fill in the joints between the fairing and metal. I will use nut plates on the rudder bottom but used pop rivets on the others.

Back