What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emergency procedures

Elith Larsen

I'm New Here
Recently i purchased an RV-9A with a sliding canopy. I am updating the check list and would like to know in case of an off runway emergency landing if I should slide the canopy back before crashing or keep it closed. The possible arguments could be keep it closed for protection in case of a roll over or keep it open for a quick escape and the track might very possible be bent so it would be difficult to slide the canopy. What is your opinion?

First, welcome to VAF.

Second, you can't open the slider in flight. The air loads will hole it closed and you can't budget it in flight. (There are a number of posts on this topic in the archives.)

Also, it is best to fly the plane than worry about the canopy.

Even if you could slide it open, there is a good chance it will slam shut on impact.

Leave it closed, you won't be able to open it more than an inch or so in flight anyway. Carry a good plexigrass breaker tool within reach in the cockpit.

Posted this a while ago:

Here is what I carry in my -6. Made for just that scenario.

Leave it in the sheath for breaking the canopy and its then an excellent survival knife. It has good mass and swings easier than a hammer in tight spaces. Point in handle is used to break the canopy. Not field tested by me but by manuf. Available here:

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/GB1629/Gerber-LMF-II-Infantry-Black-484-inch-Fixed-Blade-Sheath

2yuc9bo.jpg

Careful

Posted this a while ago:

Here is what I carry in my -6. Made for just that scenario.

Leave it in the sheath for breaking the canopy and its then an excellent survival knife. It has good mass and swings easier than a hammer in tight spaces. Point in handle is used to break the canopy. Not field tested by me but by manuf. Available here:

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/GB1629/Gerber-LMF-II-Infantry-Black-484-inch-Fixed-Blade-Sheath

2yuc9bo.jpg

I like the dual purpose of this knife but using a knife as a breaker tool can be a disaster, you end up with bonces and glancing blows that could cause the knife end to injure you more than the crash.

If you use it as a breaker tool please keep the knife sheathed.

Cheers

Hatchet

Might want to consider a small, sharp hatchet. Should work on the plexy as well as aluminum. That's what I'll be carrying when my RV-12 is finished.

I like the dual purpose of this knife but using a knife as a breaker tool can be a disaster, you end up with bonces and glancing blows that could cause the knife end to injure you more than the crash.

If you use it as a breaker tool please keep the knife sheathed.

Cheers

Nemo, I agree. The knife is used in the sheath for canopy breakage and extraction, as per military tested guidelines included with it. The knife has good weight and was tested as a breaker tool.

Last edited:
Back