What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emag Air Ignition new Model 114

Wiring

Have they done anything about the terminal strip wiring connection with the screw/friction connection. I never liked that feature. Not really ideal for an engine / engine compartment connection.

2006_0107Image0022s.JPG

I don't have any reason other than the connections are exposed and held in by friction of a screw with no lock feature. I guess some more permanent crimp plug could be used? I don't have one and only going on what I heard. Is that an issue with anyone else?

Last edited:
It works

Have they done anything about the terminal strip wiring connection with the screw/friction connection. I never liked that feature. Not really ideal for an engine / engine compartment connection.

I don't have any reason other than the connections are exposed and held in by friction of a screw with no lock feature. I guess some more permanent crimp plug could be used? I don't have one and only going on what I heard. Is that an issue with anyone else?

I'm not wild about it on mine, but the small adel clamp assists in securing the wires. I have not had an issue with this type of connector in 300 hours. I think it looks worse than it really is.

I have the AF2500 engine monitor and the brain box probably has 30 or more of these types of connectors, and they are smaller. Nobody has complained about these.

I just help a neighbor with this panel wiring. The BMA system has the same set up as the AF2500 for connecting wires.

Must not be too bad if so many companies are using them for aviation purposes.

A little off the base subject, but how have you all with the E-Mag Pair plumbed the MP Line? I have Van's hose going through the firewall for the MP Gage, and don't want to Tee into it because of interferance issues.

My plan is to use a restrictor fitting on the # 2 head to go to the Mags.. what kind of line did you use, since the Mag port just uses a barb for plastic (?) tubing?

Larry

I have not had any issues with the wiring connection, I agree with Darwin that the adel clamp next to the wiring connector provides adequate strain relief and stability to that connection if it is properly installed to begin with.

My suggestion to the Emagair guys is to machine a groove in the face of the unit (where it mates with the engine case) to install an O-ring or pressed in rubber gasket in favor of the paper gasket they use now. At least on my installation, most of my headaches on the P-Mags revolve around trying to keep that *$% paper gasket from moving around. I've tried fuel lube and every other technique I can think of.

My suggestion to the Emagair guys is to machine a groove in the face of the unit (where it mates with the engine case) to install an O-ring or pressed in rubber gasket in favor of the paper gasket they use now. At least on my installation, most of my headaches on the P-Mags revolve around trying to keep that *$% paper gasket from moving around. I've tried fuel lube and every other technique I can think of.
They have been talking about this for some time now and I agree, it would sure make installation a lot easier!!!

I suspect the 115 (116?) will be for six cylinder engines like the 540.

"....on my installation, most of my headaches on the P-Mags revolve around trying to keep that *$% paper gasket from moving around. I've tried fuel lube and every other technique I can think of.

YUP, I agree it is a pain.
The best thing that I have found is wheel bearing grease to tack the gasket to the MAG. It takes the job from "nightmare" to "bad dream" status. Fortunately, once installed it does not leak. The "O" ring sounds like a good idea.

Back