What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT

rcarson

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me where to buy the least expensive satellite ELT preferably one that uses standard AA cell batteries. Just about to finish the 7A and need to get one as the last step. Thanks for any advice you can give.

AK-450

Richard,

Ameriking AK-450 uses Duracell D batteries and is shown to be available for less than $200 on several sites. My understanding is these still meet the requirements to have an ELT. Lots of discussions about the value of 121.5 ELT compared to 406 ELT. Also note that you may not be REQUIRED to have an ELT during your phase I testing since the plane will only have a single occupant.

Regards,

I would get the D-cell 121.5 MHz unit. My opinion is that ELTs are dead weight and cannot be counted on in a crash. I have a 406 MHz PLB which can be acquired for around $200 USD this month (see ACR PLBs).

Do note that nearby countries MAY require 406 MHz units at some point if you fly there. I am not aware of any that do now but that could change...or not.

Richard,

Also note that you may not be REQUIRED to have an ELT during your phase I testing since the plane will only have a single occupant.

Regards,

It depends on who your DAR or FAA Inspector is that does the inspection on your 2 or more seat aircraft.

Typically the 8130-7 Special Airworthiness Certificate and Operating Limitations will be issued for an UNLIMITED duration. I am one DAR that will NOT issue UNLIMITED duration Special Airworthiness Certificate and Operating Limitations to a 2 or more seat Amateur Built aircraft unless an approved ELT is installed. IF I need to go back out to issue a second set of Special Airworthiness Certificate and Operating Limitations, it is going to cost you twice as much for my time. This cost is more than the cost of 121.5 ACK or Ameri King ELT. The amount of time that is spend by the DAR or FAA Inspector is almost double what it would be if they just came out one time.

I agree with Gary here. If you don't have an ELT on a more than 1 seat aircraft, you'll only get an airworthiness certificate for phase I from me.

Back