What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT Replacement Dilemma

riobison

Well Known Member
My Ameri King AK-450 has quit working and needs to be replaced.

I have 3 options, #1 is to buy another AK-450 and replace with the same old technology and be out $200.

# 2 is to replace it with an AK-451 for just under $600.00 and this is basically a plug and play into the existing harness and tray. Sounds simple enough.

# 3 is maybe changing it out to one of the other Manufactures that might be a little less money, maybe cheaper batteries but a lot bigger job tearing out the old and installing the new.

I'm leaning towards # 2, as it would give me the newer technology and a simple plug and play.

Has anyone gone this route? Some of the reviews that I have read on these 2 models have not been that great.

Thanks

Tim

I'm in exactly the same boat ... and have seen the crummy reviews of both models.
Mine has gone belly up, and it is definitely not user serviceable - the board is soldered into the top of the unit.

Interested to hear what others think. Mine's for a certified plane (1048 C-170).

I replaced my AKC-450 with an AKC-451 (AKC-451's can be installed in certified airplanes) and am pleased with the result. Don't ask how I know the system works as advertised.
:rolleyes:

The mounting bracket is the only real "Plug-N-Play" portion of the upgrade. You will have still to install the new antenna and run a new cable from the unit to the new remote switch since the old cable is not compatible. You can use the old coaxial cable between the unit and the antenna if you want to but I went ahead and replaced it with a new one. In my case all of these were very easy to do. Depending on the unit you might want to connect a wire from your GPS position source to the unit, which your old AKC-450 didn't have.

:cool:

Last edited:
Option #4

Buy my old, but unused, never installed, AK450 for $75 and USPS priority shipping...:)

Living in AZ with vast expanses of nowhere around me I will go 406 instead.

Where were you Gil two weeks ago when I was looking for a 121 unit? I just 5 minutes ago sent payment for an AK-450 to another member.:confused:

Where were you Gil two weeks ago when I was looking for a 121 unit? I just 5 minutes ago sent payment for an AK-450 to another member.:confused:

I can't read all of the VAF posts...:)

This is for the broken replacement unit only, I need to keep the little control box on the panel since that will work with the new 406 system.

It's an offer for replacement of one unit in the whole system, not an entire, legal 121.5 system.

I need to keep the little control box on the panel since that will work with the new 406 system.

I was under the impression the new unit requires a different remote control box and interphase cable. The old and new ones are the same physical size but with different "innards".

One more data point for you. I have the -450, not flying yet, but an A&P came out to do my pitot/static/transponder check this week and took one look at my ELT and said they are ****. Just one man's opinion...but he had about 25 yrs experience. I had originally planned to replace mine with the -451 down the road for the same reason you mention, easy...but now am reconsidering.

There is a simple install option of the EBC406AP. 406 transmitter that you screw to the wall within reach of the pilot. Done. No wiring or subpanel.

I was under the impression the new unit requires a different remote control box and interphase cable. The old and new ones are the same physical size but with different "innards".

Maybe for the AmeriKing units, but I was going to use the AmeriKing 121 unit with the ACK E-04 ELT unit.

From the ACK E-04 FAQ...

I have an Ameriking ELT installed, Can I use the existing remote control indicator?
Yes, you can use the same remote control panel indicator as the AmeriKing products use.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/e04faq.pdf

AK450 junk? Well, that puts it right inline with all the others. There was a time when half the airplanes I inspected had inoperable ELTs, no matter which brand. After 91.207 they got better to the point where only a fourth were dud. I still think a 121 box to stay legal and a dependable PLB is not a bad way to go. Then you're not tied to another high dollar box that "has" to work.

AK450 junk? Well, that puts it right inline with all the others. There was a time when half the airplanes I inspected had inoperable ELTs, no matter which brand. After 91.207 they got better to the point where only a fourth were dud. I still think a 121 box to stay legal and a dependable PLB is not a bad way to go. Then you're not tied to another high dollar box that "has" to work.

I agree... I installed a ACK E-04 one, but also keep a PLB in the glove box as a back-up...:)

Sounds like the reliability are still hit or miss with these. My tech here in Alberta was saying the exact same thing as most everyone on here. Chasing good money after bad. For the time being I will probably purchase a replacement one for AK-450 new or used and bide my time on upgrading.

Tim

Sounds like the reliability are still hit or miss with these. My tech here in Alberta was saying the exact same thing as most everyone on here. Chasing good money after bad. For the time being I will probably purchase a replacement one for AK-450 new or used and bide my time on upgrading.

Tim

Tim,

The ELT seems more popular than I thought and I got a couple of other replies.

However the original offer was to you. If you still want it I'll ship it - less the D-cell batteries....:)

I just noticed you are in Canada, send me an email with the best way to ship.

Back