What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT power?

Opa John

Where in the "Aeroelectric Connection" world of wiring, would one find which buss or direct to battery, to run the Elt from? Assume that I'm using the E buss method w/ single battery/Alt. combo...

ELTs are always powered from their internal batteries.

...unless you have one of the fancy new 406 MHz ELTs with a GPS serial input. All the ones I've seen need a power input to run the serial adapter, although the actual ELT itself is still powered by its own batteries.

mcb

...unless you have one of the fancy new 406 MHz ELTs with a GPS serial input. All the ones I've seen need a power input to run the serial adapter, although the actual ELT itself is still powered by its own batteries.

mcb
So with 406's would it be feasable to run it on the same buss as the gps? Bob normally has it on the E buss...

Your installation manual for the ELT should give the recommended bus. Most recommend connecting it to a fuse, directly to the battery. This would be similar to a chronometer with a Always-On wire.

mcb
Aaagh! As soon as I wrote "always" I was reminded about the adage of always and never. I thought and thought though and couldn't think of an exception (sort of). Don't have experience with those new deals.

Use the same fuse as the GPS...

So with 406's would it be feasable to run it on the same buss as the gps? Bob normally has it on the E buss...

It would make sense to power the GPS adapter from the same fuse that the GPS is powered from. If the fuse blows and you lose GPS data, you don't need an adapter.

It would make sense to power the GPS adapter from the same fuse that the GPS is powered from. If the fuse blows and you lose GPS data, you don't need an adapter.

Not a bad idea. Similarly, in my airplane, I am powering the ELT's GPS adapter from the same fuse that my EFIS uses to sense bus voltage. That way the ELT fuse can't blow without me knowing about it.

mcb

Back