What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT mounting photos

RV10Man

Well Known Member
I need some ideas on mounting the ELT in my RV10.
Anyone got some photos of theirs?

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM

Not an RV-10, but may give you an idea.

This is how I mounted my Artex ELT in my RV-8. Custom mount out of .063. Solid as a rock......it's not going anywhere.

img2757a.jpg

img2764.jpg

ME406

I used the Vans standard elt mounting plate. just some pop rivets thru the j stringer and some nut plates to mount the base and your done. wire up the Dsub connector. I mounted it right side just behind the baggage bulkhead. I made a small plate fastened to the back of the buzzer (not shown) and glued it with epoxy to the side skin.

100_1924.jpg

Last edited:
I used the Vans standard elt mounting plate.

In the accessories catalogue I can see a LHS -10 mount for strobe power only or a -7/8/9 LHS or RHS for strobe or ELT. I have used the mount for the strobe - nice and easy. Which "standard" one did you use for the ELT?

Vans accys

I used the Whelen pwr mount 10-L on page 75 of the 2009 Vans catalog. It has a taper so it fits between the J stringers with flanges that overlap so you can use pop rivets for mounting. I mounted the ELT base plate on to this mount with 4 plate nuts. If you have a small bender you could easily make one from 065 sheet. just make the top and bottom flanges with a taper that will fit over the stringer with cut outs in the corners for clearence. One flange overlaps on top of the stringer, the other overlaps the bottom. Or just go ahead and buy the one from Vans. Im glad I did. :)

Yep, I have fitted the mount for the Whelen strobe power. So you fitted what is desribed as the left side mount on the right (that's easy, just flip it over). Did you the have to drill new holes for the nutplates or can you fit the ELT base plate to the holes already drilled?

re: thanks

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I was going to mount the ELT to the stringers, but I noticed they weren't parallel to each other so I thought I'd see what others were doing. It seem most of you saw the same thing.
So there again, thanks for the input.
I thought about making a doubler plate like the one for the antenna(s) and mount it directly to the bottom skin. What's your alls:) opinion of this?

Marshall Alexander

Just a thought for you guys..... Is the use of an ELT mandatory in the USA? ANd I say this with ...check your regs carefully!

Here a distress beacon is mandatory however it can be of the not fixed type, for example a PLB.

It has been proven that in many accidents the ELT is useless as it fails to deploy, or is damaged and the antenna is destroyed.

Of course if you are killed, well its academic really, but if you are OK, or slightly injured you would be better off with a PLB which you have in the cabin with you, and when needed you activate before you carry out the forced landing. It is then active even if you tip over and become unconcious.

Sure if you are dumb enough to be VFR in IMC and run into a rock.....its not going to matter.

Food for thought...............

DB

PS...We have a PLB with GPS.

Back