What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT mounted to flap actuator cover

jasman45

Has anyone mounted their ELT to the flap actuator cover? I was thinking of mounting on the cover with a thick piece of aluminum between the triangular supports that the cover screws into. Let me know what you think.

Should work fine. It would take up some baggage space. Mine is behind the bulkhead. ELT on Right, Strobe Power Supply on left.

Has anyone mounted their ELT to the flap actuator cover? I was thinking of mounting on the cover with a thick piece of aluminum between the triangular supports that the cover screws into. Let me know what you think.

The ELT shall be mounted to primary aircraft structures such as trusses bullheads, longerons, spars of floor beams per FAA guidelines.

I am sure you have your ELT and installation manual everything is explained there. You may have to explain your particular installation to your airworthiness inspector and convince him it's suitable. Not saying it couldn't be done I've seen some interesting mounts. Do your math and physics homework and be ready to defend it :)

Most modern ELTs have a stiffness requirement for the mount. For a certain specified applied force, there must me no more than a certain amount of deflection, also specified.

If you can meet that and everything else in the ELT installation manual checks out, it's a good install.

Dave

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Good information as always. It seems like a good spot to me (so long as it meets the deflection requirements) as it is centrally located within the area next to the occupants and seems to me to be an area very likely to survive a crash if the occupant survives. I have an engineer brother that I will task with physics questions.

I have it behind the baggage area.
If I had to make it again, I will find a location inside the cabin, should I need to pick it up and bring it with me in case of accident.

You know that most commercial aircraft are required to have automated signal equipment in the most likely areas that are expected to survive the forces of impact and fire. ELTs and black boxes are located near the tail and almost always survive the crash to aid in location and to tell the tale. Dan

Back