What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT in fwd fuse?

Kokemiller

Well Known Member
I'm building a 9A with a Catto 3 blade prop coming soon and want to keep as much weight foreward. Has anyone mounted the elt in the fwd fuse?

I'm building a 9A with a Catto 3 blade prop coming soon and want to keep as much weight foreward. Has anyone mounted the elt in the fwd fuse?
Mine is mounted just behind the firewall for the same reasons. Lightweight Catto prop and need as much weight forward as possible. Will probably end up with a 20 pound crush plate as well. I am eight
hours into Phase I and will have to work on the weight and balance.

elt fwd

Mine is just under the pilots butt, so little effect on CG.
I'd like to see it between the 'footwells' so it's easy to verify that it's on or off, but you'd need a skookum mount to ensure it stay'd put in a 20 G impact.
Added bonus here is able to remove quickly to a better location, changed batteries etc.( post -impact!)
also easier to wire to your GPS if you have the new style ELT.

Lots of things .....like fire extinguishers etc. really clutter up the forward cabin, but aren't very handy in the baggage area when you need'em!.....and the weight is better off forward as well.

The instructions for most ELTs advise that it should be mounted as far aft as practical. This is primarily so that it has a better chance of surviving a crash. In most crashes, the forward part of the aircraft is damaged most. If the ELT is mounted in the part that is damaged, it will do little or no good.

Back