What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT Antenna Problem

Anyone else have an antenna problem with the ELT. During the self-test and after switching back to the ARM position I get three flashes indicating an antenna problem. Artex/Cobham technical support said the mounting plate isn't large enough and/or the nearness of the antenna to the roll bar was the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Denny Myrick

ELT antenna

Is the fuel tank installed? Mine did same thing until the fuel tank was in place, then it tested OK.

Had the EXACT same problem. Tried a number of things. The installation of the fuel tank solved the problem. Based on my knowledge of antenna theory, the fuel tank gives the ELT antenna a near perfect ground plane. And as such, you should get a good diagnostic code from the ELT test. If that does not work, I have a couple of other ideas. Let me know.

Again, based on antenna theory, paint will NOT effect the performance of the ground plane. The fuel tank has to be mounted, ie. bonded to the airframe via its attachment screws.

Back