What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT Antenna Location

Ted RV8

Well Known Member
Not wanting to open a can of worms here. I've read the threads on ELT antenna mountings on this site and really don't have a clear answer.

Wanting to keep legal and pass my airworthiness inspection, where does one mount the antenna on an RV-8? Slider canopy goes all the way back to the vertical stab, so no place to mount it on rear deck. From what I can gather, mounting it horizontally under the fiberglass empennage fairing is not legal or vertical. Mounting it inside the windscreen in front of the roll bar is questionable, also not legal??. Mounting it on the passenger seat bulkhead not legal and I would think somewhat in the way for the passenger.

Manufacturer states mount external and vertical (within 45 degrees). So where does it get mounted.

Lots of RV-8's flying, I'm pretty sure they all have ELT's. Has anyone had difficulty getting airworthiness inspection with the above mentioned antenna locations?

Ready to drill, don't know where.

Input would be appreciated!

Mine is a "rubber ducky" mounted horizontally under the empennage fairing. I can't tell you how effective it is, although in a test, it could be heard with a hand-held receiver on the far side of our field - with buildings in between. Legal? Well, the airplane is licensed, and was licensed with it in that location.

I'm shopping for a good personal locater beacon because I really doubt the performance of the "legal" 121.5 ELT's anyway....

Just my experience,

Paul

Last edited:
Mine will be mounted inside the canopy, with the antenna sticking straight up between the tubes of the front seat back brace.

Pictures, etc

It isn't external, but the antenna has a clear view of the sky, and it isn't sitting too close to other metal, as you find when people put it on the arm rest behind the passenger's elbow.

It doesn't have a good ground plane though, so it isn't an ideal location. I think it is the best you can do on the RV-8 though.

Kevin:

Mel is correct; that's what I did and I could not find a better alternative than the one you have chosen. But you'll end up replacing that antenna every so often; I can tell you that from first hand experience.

One other note for the originator of this thread. If the ELT has a remote switch panel, be sure to mount it in view of the pilot where he has easy access. The ELT instructions also advise against passing the antenna cable through any bulkheads.

As an A&P and EAA Tech Counselor, ELT antenna placement on RV's is the question I am asked most by builders.

Kevin Horton said:
Mine will be mounted inside the canopy, with the antenna sticking straight up between the tubes of the front seat back brace.

Pictures, etc

It isn't external, but the antenna has a clear view of the sky, and it isn't sitting too close to other metal, as you find when people put it on the arm rest behind the passenger's elbow.

It doesn't have a good ground plane though, so it isn't an ideal location. I think it is the best you can do on the RV-8 though.

Tom Clark Fastback

I'm building with the Tom Clark fastback option/kit. A whole lot more work, but the slider is retained and doesn't go all the way back to the taill. So I can place the ELT aerial in front of the VS without a problem...

avpro56 said:
Kevin:

Mel is correct; that's what I did and I could not find a better alternative than the one you have chosen. But you'll end up replacing that antenna every so often; I can tell you that from first hand experience.
Hmm. Have you found that the antenna is prone to getting hit and damaged in this location? What activities were happening when it got damaged?

I'm a bit concerned about the end of the antenna poking someone in the eye, so I am pondering sticking some sort of large plastic ball over the end. I don't think it should affect the antenna, as long is the ball isn't conductive.

I know of a least 10 RV8s with ELT ant. mounted under empennage fairing thats where mine is.

Kevin Horton said:
Hmm. Have you found that the antenna is prone to getting hit and damaged in this location? What activities were happening when it got damaged?

I'm a bit concerned about the end of the antenna poking someone in the eye, so I am pondering sticking some sort of large plastic ball over the end. I don't think it should affect the antenna, as long is the ball isn't conductive.

Kevin:

Just normal entrance and exit from the airplane. The only thing I can recommend is that you get into the habit of entering and exiting the cockpit from the left hand side of the airplane.

Whats important, looks or following the official installation

Ted RV8 said:
Not wanting to open a can of worms here. I've read the threads on ELT antenna mountings on this site and really don't have a clear answer.

[1] Wanting to keep legal and pass my airworthiness inspection, where does one mount the antenna on an RV-8?

[2] Manufacturer states mount external and vertical (within 45 degrees). So where does it get mounted.

[3] Lots of RV-8's flying, I'm pretty sure they all have ELT's. Has anyone had difficulty getting airworthiness inspection with the above mentioned antenna locations?

Input would be appreciated!
[1] Based on you word "legal" you would mount it externally and vertical. That would typically be on the top rear fuselage, aft of the slider rail. Because the ELT needs to be close to the antenna and the ELT accessible (per the TSO'ed instructions), the ELT unit needs to be in the rear fuselage and a fuselage access panel will likely need to be added. (Having the ELT near the antenna keeps the coax short. It's kind of a bad idea running coax long distance due to increased likelihood of damage during a crash is the logic. Also after an emergency langing you may want to retrieve the ELT from the plane and use a portable antenna for many reasons, like your plane is on the shore and the tide is rising or the the fuselage antenna is inop.

[2] See [1]

[3] Builders hide their antennas all over as you know, wing tip, tail intersection fairing, in the cockpit and externally. You ask if anyone had problem getting it approved by a DAR is an unknown. I have not heard of any complaints. If you don't want to have a problem and a do it by the book guy, i.e., follow the manufactures instructions, than you can answer your own question, its in the manufactures installation manual. What your DAR buys remains to be seen. Some DAR's are picky or have pet peeves, like ELT installations. Most are cool and understand the experimental nature of our planes. However a DAR can make the argument the ELT is a TSO'ed device required by the FAR's, which applies to experimental's (which I believe is true). Part of a TSO'ed device is the installation, so the installation manual becomes part of the approval or compliance to the TSO.

WHY Deviate? Looks Looks Looks Looks. Guys want to hide it because it looks better, cleaner. Its not like a COM or GPS antenna you use all the time. Some are fatalist and feel it does not matter and is just a box to check but will do nothing in the real world no matter where the antenna is. I don't agree but to each his own. Second reason builders justify internal antenna mounting is drag, but at loss of 1/8 mph to 1/4th mph at top speed its pretty small.

Bottom line another decision you have to make. I do think the best of all the "internal" options is the cockpit, its vertically and plexi transparent. Also the EBC brand of ELT's has set the precedence for installing the ELT and antenna in the cockpit. For my RV-7 the ELT on the baggage floor (protected by a cover). A short coax run to the cockpit antenna protruding next to the canopy. You have ELT access and a short coax run.

I figured my plane will come to rest upside down at worst so this picture shows some of the options (cockpit, back, tail intersection, wingtip, plus glare shield/fwd windscreen).

Of course the plane can be in any final resting position after a emergency landing but upside down cockpit is OK. Wing tip and back look better, but if the wing tip gets ripped off than you are SOL. The intersection fairing looks blocked even if its sitting on the ramp on it's gear, much less upside down, where the horizontal stab will block it. Remember VHF is basically LOS, Line Of Sight. (click thumbnail)

Last edited:
George,

The reason the question was asked is because it can not be mounted on the rear deck of an 8. As I stated in my first post, slider when open goes all the way back to the vertical stab.

Not trying to deviate. Trying to figure a place to mount working with the 8

Oh but really no room at all?

Ted RV8 said:
George,

The reason the question was asked is because it can not be mounted on the rear deck of an 8. As I stated in my first post, slider when open goes all the way back to the vertical stab.

Not trying to deviate. Trying to figure a place to mount working with the 8
I don't have a pic of a RV-8 with open canopy and was going on memory and my RV-7. Did not realize the RV-8 canopy went to the vertical stab. I see that now, never mind. :rolleyes:

You can't put it 1/4" aft of the furthest reach of an open canopy, say to the left or right of center-line? Fuselage may not be flat but you could put a slight bend in the antenna wire, near base, to make vertical. Guess not. If not than the belly is second choice for external mount. Considering how many RV's end up on their back that may be a great place or the internal cockpit mount, behind the rear passenger (bend 18" antenna to fit) or between front/rear seats on side? Good Luck, advice is free so its worth what you paid for it.

Last edited:
avpro56 said:
Kevin:

Just normal entrance and exit from the airplane. The only thing I can recommend is that you get into the habit of entering and exiting the cockpit from the left hand side of the airplane.
Yes, a left hand entry and exit is my plan. Right side for emergency exit only, in which case I don't really care what happens to the ELT antenna, as I intend to carry a PLB in a flight suit pocket, or in a survival vest.

But, maybe I should purchase a spare ELT antenna to have on hand. I hate to lose a trip due to a predicable snag with no parts on hand to fix it.

Back