What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevators out of alignment

I have been reading the online post here and I believe I know the answer, but I am not sure how to proceed. Here's the problem:

The left elevator is a 1/4" higher at the root and 1.8 degrees higher at the root than the right elevator. This leads me to believe that one of the elevators are warped or both are warped. The out board measurements are exactly the same with the exact same angles.

So my 1st question are is a 1/4" higher on the left at the root significant?
Is the 1.8 degrees at the root significant?

Lastly, if the answer is yes to the questions above how do I determine which one to fix or both, and how do I fix the warping? One suggestion was to drill out the rivets and start over.

Thanks for looking and offering your opinion.

Sounds more like the drill holes at the weldment forks are off. Regardless it will fly fine. They will work themselves out.

I had the same problem with my elevator, the trailing edge is straight, the leading edge is straight. They are just not parallel to each other. The only thing I could think of that would cause that is (as stated in the previous post) the elevator horn is slightly off. In my case Vans said to build on.
Mike
RV9

Elevators

I have the same issue. When I spoke to Vans I was told I had 2 choices.
1. weld the hole in the horn and re-drill
OR
2. Build on.

I have about the same 1/4 inch difference at the trailing edge. I'm not flying yet so I haven't made up my mind about what my final fix will be. For now just pounding rivets:)

If it is the drilling of the elevator horn, mine is off at the tips (compared to the HS) by about 1/4 inch. Plane flys straight.

Not sure if it was my drilling of the horn, or possibly my HS has a twist... but it does fly straight.

Last edited:
Elevators

Same problem, only worse. Had old hole welded and re-drilled in good alignment. It was fairly quick and easy. All's fine now.

Back