What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator trim tab travel?

Lionclaw

Well Known Member
I have electric trim, and I finally got around to installing the servo and pushrod today. Should I be able to run the servo to it's limits without having interference problems?

With the servo fully extended, and the pushrod adjusted to max length without any interference, the trim tab is only going up 15 degrees. When I run the tab down the pushrod interferes with the end of the slot before the servo is fully retracted.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if I did something wrong. I can't think of any options I'd be happy with (bend the pushrod, or elongate the slot).

Very Little travel used.

On my RV9 , I have the manual trim installed and never see the tab up higher than 1/4 inch on the trailing edge and same for down . The trim tab is super sensitive to pitch and I don't think you will ever need to position it to 15 deg up or down .

I elongated the slot AND added a slight bend. Either or both can be done, the interference is a common problem on the 9 trim tab with electric trim, don't know about the other models.

I too elongated mine. However, I am wondering just how much trim travel will be necessary on the airplane in flight conditions. It REALLY has lots of trim travel. I suspect way more than what is required. I wonder if anyone flying a -9 has some input.

On most certified aircraft full nose up trim with power at idle will produce the best glide decent angle. I am thinking this is not the case on my -9.

Lots!

You'll be surprised at the amount of trim that it takes. If you are flying solo and have a fairly forward CG you will almost certainly run out of nose up trim at about 70 knots (full flaps).

Back