What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Trim Tab Travel

nturner

How much travel should there be in the elevator trim tab before it hits the elevator (this is before the servo is connected).

Van's reference

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been away over easter.

It's section 8-17 of the construction manual.

Cheers

Peter

All that travel is fine but...

.....you'll never use more than a fraction of it. We seldom see much more movement than the thickness of the trailing edge of the tab....3/8" or so.

Regards,

.....you'll never use more than a fraction of it. We seldom see much more movement than the thickness of the trailing edge of the tab....3/8" or so.
The amount of travel needed depends on the CG and speed range that you experience. On my RV-8, full nose up trim on final approach is not enough to zero the stick forces, and it looks like I'll need most of the available nose down trim at high speed at aft CG.

Last edited:
The amount of travel needed depends the CG and speed range that you experience. On my RV-8, full nose up trim on final approach is not enough to zero the stick forces, and it looks like I'll need most of the available nose down trim at high speed at aft CG.

Then it goes to show that "side by sides" are more practical in CG management! :D Same as what Pierre said; my 6A only uses a "fraction" of it's travel. After landing, my tab is barely out of line with the rest of the elevator. Doesn't matter if there are one or two aboard.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back