What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Trim servo wiring

Vonsmallhousen

Does anyone have photos of how they have run there servo wires from the servo to the fuselarge. I dont like the thought of puting them though the same hole as the servo jack screw runs though the spar.

Drilled second hole

I drilled a second hole through the lightening hole in the elevator horn:

CIMG0158.JPG

Leading edge

I would also appreciate any pictures of how the wire passes through the leading edge of the elevator skin, to prevent chafing as the elevator moves, or is it best to run the wire out the inboard end between the spar and the skin?
It turns out everyone else was right. There really are a million little things to do towards the end of the build. Luckily, I have next week off and stuff coming from Stein, Van's, and Strobes 'n More. Should be a fun week!

Here is how I did it. The PVC tubing goes through the HS and out to the elevator and to the trim tab.

s119n8.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks, Tony

Thanks for the picture. What I was hoping to see was how the wire runs from the HS to the elevator (out through the rear spar of the HS, through the leading edge of the elevator). I have the wire out the rear spar, but just need some ideas on how to get it through the leading edge.
Thanks, again.

Herre's my way...

Hi.

I ran the wires through a separate hole in the elevator, forward along the edge of the elevator, then around the elevator horn, up and over the elevator spar and then down into the fuse through a separate bushing.

Note that the wires is double-protected against chafing around the elevator spar. (spiral-tube + that "teeth-plastic" you can mount on sharp edges.)

Easy to inspect at annual.
No problem so far. (120 hrs)

I plan to use the same route as the manual cable. The holes are standard all the way through the HS into the leading edge of the elevator and through the spar in the elevator.

Dave

From the rear spar to the leading edge of the elevator I used the same "spaghetti" tubing. Drilled a hole, inserted a snap bushing right in the middle (center cross section). Sorry can't get a descent photo with it installed. (I tried). Just make sure you have a little bit of flexibility in the harness from the spar to the elevator

Here are the pertinent pictures from my website:
Elevator71.jpg
Elevator73.jpg

I soldered up a lead of wire and ran it out a seperate hole in the spar with a rubber grommet in it. This is the 5-wire wiring bundle you can buy from Ray Allen.

Rigging38.jpg
Rigging39.jpg

Installed a connector on the end, covered with shrink wrap, and clamped it to the rear deck for easy removal.

Last edited:
Depression

Randy,
Thanks for the pictures. I finally had to quit looking at your website because every time I saw your wiring runs I would get depressed when I compared them to how mine look :>) It's websites like yours (and so many others) that help to improve the quality of RV construction all over the world. Randy Lervold and Randy Griffin did my very first tech counselor visit, so I got a clear picture early on of what I was up against. Thanks!

5 wire servo ?

Randy,

Did your servo have two wires or five wires running out of it? I can't tell by the picture. Mine has five wires - two for up/down - the other three striped for the panel indicator.

Thanks Ward.

It is the standard 5-wire stranded wire from Ray Allen. I connected each of the 5 wires to the corresponding wire in the bundle. My wiring diagram for the trim system is on my website as well.

Last edited:
Back