What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Tips

wpisar

Just fitted my fiberglass elevator tips and find that they extend 1/8" beyond the elevator trailing edge. They are a tight fit as it is. Anyone else have this issue. I'm considering trimming the aft portion of the tip and resealing with resin, though I'm not sure its worth the effort.

All the tips take quite a bit of fitting to look good. Cut, sand, grind, fill untill they fit good. If you break through, just glass in some material on the inside.

Mine were the same way, but I think I was able to grind them down to match without breaking through the fillet on the inside. No repairs required.

As another poster said, do what you need to do to make them fit.

fill first

Clean with some acetone on the inside at the trailing edge. Sand and clean again. Mix epoxy and microfiller (use flox if you have it) and add filler to that inside trailing edge. Much easier to do it now.

When done you can use a Dremel and cutting disk to cut the excess. I use a taped line as a guide. Then block sand to match the TE of the elevators.

Back