What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator tip spacing

Brambo

Well Known Member
I'm putting the tips on the elevators and horizontal stab and I can't seem to find any reference to how much space there should be between the two. I seem to recall someone saying 1/8", but I'd like to get that confirmed before I continue. Thanks

1/8" is a good clearance. You want to make sure that you still have sufficient clearance after paint.

Timely thread.

I was looking over my buddy's newly DAR'd 7 this evening as "an extra set of eyes"

He bought it up with tail and wings built, it all looked just beautiful.

On all the horns, elevator and rudder, you could not fit a long #40 drill bit between any of the tips. (parallel to the spars).

I let him know that IMHO that was inadequate and needed to have at least 1/8th inch clearance.

No one in there right mind would knowingly fly an RV into known Ice, but with these clearances, your body would soon be on ice, thats if any part of you was left. :eek:

Heck what about a handful of smaller gravel on a dirt strip knocked up into the hinges.

I would take no chances with a loss of any contol surface travel.

Hey Tom:

Your point about adequate clearances in case of an encounter with inadvertent icing or rough field debris is a good one. I am sure you didn't mean to say that any of us would fly an RV into known icing.

Antony

I was looking over my buddy's newly DAR'd 7 this evening as "an extra set of eyes"

He bought it up with tail and wings built, it all looked just beautiful.

On all the horns, elevator and rudder, you could not fit a long #40 drill bit between any of the tips. (parallel to the spars).

I let him know that IMHO that was inadequate and needed to have at least 1/8th inch clearance.

No one in there right mind would knowingly fly an RV into known Ice, but with these clearances, your body would soon be on ice, thats if any part of you was left. :eek:

Heck what about a handful of smaller gravel on a dirt strip knocked up into the hinges.

I would take no chances with a loss of any contol surface travel.

NOT at ALL!

Hey Tom:

Your point about adequate clearances in case of an encounter with inadvertent icing or rough field debris is a good one. I am sure you didn't mean to say that any of us would fly an RV into known icing.

Antony

Not at all, known icing is best encountered from inside the home or lodge with a warm beverage of your choice.:rolleyes:

Its the inadvertent things that getcha.

Clouds are wet, they can be very cold, you could check your temp while IFR and then get busier than a bug in a puddle of spit, and not realize that the rain is now freezing.

I do believe that the same freezing can happen on the ground.

Whatever conditions are I always want my control surfaces to be free and clear.

Back