What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

elevator tab bend mistake

datsclark

I'd like an opinion from all you fine experts on my elevator tab, the one you have to bend on the skin by the trim tab. I've either over-folded the trailing edge of my elevator, or bent too much of that little tab. When i was bending it (shame on me for not eyeballing this first) the tab almost ran into the bottom tab. It won't bend all the way without hitting.

FWIW, here are images after unbending it some.
754080169_TyxVQ-M.jpg

754080076_GeRcS-M.jpg

What do you think... should I:
a. Unbend some more, cut off a bit, and rebend.
b. Move the blocks over, rebend less of it.
c. Start over :eek:

Thanks!

I blew that, too

I ended up snipping off the tabs and making a little rib to close out the elevator. It wasn't easy to rivet it on, because it's so narrow in there, but I managed.

Many builders have problems; I did and bought a new skin. If I were to do it again, I'd just make the tab. In fact I may cut up my trim tab and make a rib; the alignment could be better... but perfect is the enemy of good in this case so I've put it on the back burner.

I think Van should sell a little rib, it would be much better and looks like the rest of the build.

I agree with Rivithead about the edge finish. This is a most important item to get right if you dont want future cracking. Its all important but esspecially important an the small rads. such as the cutout at the front of the tab, that is a prime place for cracks to start. Its boring to finish the edges nicely but its more boring to continually be repairing cracked parts.

Hate to pile it on, but yeah you could stand to remove more edge material. Cleaning up the edges and deburring holes is not fun, but it is necessary. In this case you can remove as much material as you need to be able to fold the tabs down and fit each other, the only purpose they serve is to get riveted to each other to hold the entire tab in its final shape.

Thanks for the comments everyone. You're completely right, i've missed finishing the edges on here. I'll go back and clean up the edges before I move on.

If i cut the tabs down and rebend, will I risk bending the material too much?

Last edited:
How about 3 screw-ups

I did the same thing, 3 times. The last time I cut off the tabs, fabbed a rib to fit and used MS319BK pop rivets. It is so much easier, I don't know why Vans keeps that design. It is obvious very difficult to do. And don't worry about using pop rivets. You will use them on the flaps, and ailerons.

Paul
N277PM
Just now putting the leading edges, tanks and top skins on the wings.

Open up the bend.

I'd like an opinion from all you fine experts on my elevator tab, the one you have to bend on the skin by the trim tab. I've either over-folded the trailing edge of my elevator, or bent too much of that little tab. When i was bending it (shame on me for not eyeballing this first) the tab almost ran into the bottom tab. It won't bend all the way without hitting.

FWIW, here are images after unbending it some.
754080169_TyxVQ-M.jpg

754080076_GeRcS-M.jpg

What do you think... should I:
a. Unbend some more, cut off a bit, and rebend.
b. Move the blocks over, rebend less of it.
c. Start over :eek:

Thanks!

This was the issue I had with my first-of-three attempts at making the bend. The angle needs to be opened up more so that when the bend is made it does not interfere with the bottom piece of material. Now having said that, I still screwed up the next attempt in that my blocks moved.
#@!?@?#!

Paul
N277PM
Found great enjoyment in abusing a friend as we finished the right wing leading edge, tank and top skins riveting. I can't wait until he loses enough weight to crawl into the fuselage with the bucking bar.

Back