What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Spar fit question

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
At the outboard end of the spar, does the elevator spar flange fit over the counterbalance rib flange or under it? There is just one hole where the skin gets rivited to both the counterbalance rib flange and the spar flange. One of the flanges must be bent down to fit under. The plans are not specific.

I know the counterbalance skin goes under the elev. skin at the trailing end.

Thanks.

Jimbo

I will check...

Jimbo,

Sorry no one has answered your question yet. I will try and look when I get home this evening and let you know what I did. Bad news is I'm a few hours behind you so that's gonna be kinda late tonight. Maybe someone can get you an answer sooner.

Roger
-9A slow QB
La Grande OR

Maybe spar flange goes over

Looking at the plans a liitle closer-maybe the spar flange goes over the counterweight rib flange, but it could go either way it appears (?)

Jim (jimbo)

Fits on Top

I just finished this assembly. I agree...it's not real clear but if you study the print there is a sold line at that intersection point. The isometric view shows the spar flange over the rib flange. To place the spar flange below the rib flange would require some serious bending! Once you put the the Assembly together it lays out nicely.

Take Care,

Rib fits inside of spar

I imagine you're past this point, but here's how I did it. The drawings do show this if you stare at them long enough.

p4182186bj5.jpg

Setting this rivet and the other 5 where the counterbalance skin overlaps the elevator skin is a real chore. Those tungsten bucking bars sound like just the right tool for the job.

You can see that I riveted the ribs to the spar before attaching the skin. The instructions have you do this the other way around. I followed the instructions for the other elevator and I think that was more difficult, but it does let you get at a couple more skin/spar rivets with a 4" no-hole squeezer.

Back