What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Servo

MNellis

Currently I have easy access to the elev. bell crank and I was thinking it might be a good time to at least drill a pilot hole in bell crank where the servo activation rod will bolt to.

Is there a specific recommended location dimension on the bell crank where the hole should be located or does it vary by manufacturer?

I am using Dynon's Skyview system along with their servos. Dynon's servos came with a mounting kit that had instructions as to where to drill the holes.

I do not know if the other manufacturers servos use the same dimension, but I think you probably will want to figure out whose system you are using before you start to drill holes.

I do not know if the other manufacturers servos use the same dimension, but I think you probably will want to figure out whose system you are using before you start to drill holes.

You're probably correct and I know who's system I want to use but you have to purchase the servo and I want to hold out on this expense for the moment.

Info for Trio Gold Servos

Here is what the install doc says for Trio Gold Servos:

When attaching the servo pushrod to a control bell crank, it is important to keep the two lever arms equal. Measure the distance from the servo crank arm pivot point to the outermost hole in the crank arm.
Then drill an attach point in the bell crank that is the same distance from its pivot point. This will assure proper servo operation.

I'm right at the point of building the bellcrank and I've drilled it at about 1-3/4 inch (45 mm) from pivot point to match servo's crank arm distance.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Good Info

Hi Gil,

Very nice documentation by Dynon. I see that they use a 2.5" distance to anchor the servo rod and this gave me the idea to provision more than one hole while I'm building the bellcrank and it's easy to do ;)

By the way, I also made a different spacer than the one that comes in the kit, based on example given by George Orndorff in his video. My spacer goes down below servo attachment hole to give some strength here.

Back