What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator rigging? Rv3

1rv4

Hi. I'm just in the process of cutting the control rods to length for the elevators. To get the correct length I am going to fix the elevators in neutral and the bell crank 90deg. to the top longeron. Will this be the right distance? I can't find a write up or reference other than what is shown on the plans. I then am assuming (getting myself into trouble again) that the stick is also set at right angle to the top longeron to give the correct length for the forward tube? Any wisdom much appreciated.

my drawing shows 66 1/4" from end of tube to end of tube, excluding the rod end bearings. It also shoes the elevator bell crank at FS 306 to be vertical.

Thankyou for the reply, I think the 66 1/4 on the plans is just an approximation. Mine had to be a little longer. I guess it's taking so long to build it's growing! The vertical of the bellcrank I took to be from the level datum line (top longeron) and not the bellcrank extruded mounting angles. I will position the stick to be parallel with the bellcrank and see what that looks like.
Chris

Hi. I'm just in the process of cutting the control rods to length for the elevators. To get the correct length I am going to fix the elevators in neutral and the bell crank 90deg. to the top longeron. Will this be the right distance? I can't find a write up or reference other than what is shown on the plans. I then am assuming (getting myself into trouble again) that the stick is also set at right angle to the top longeron to give the correct length for the forward tube? Any wisdom much appreciated.
It’s been years since we rigged ours, but your approach sounds fine to me.

Drawings 21 & 22 along with a vague description on pages 6 & 7 of section eight of your builders manual show it pretty much as you plan to do.

That is how I did mine too. The dimensions shown are a rough guideline.

Russell

Back