What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Rear Spar

joer308

Patron
I'm totally confused. I understand that the special bucking bar on page 9-17 is used for the left bottom skin, or the right top skin, to the rear spar, on page 9-20.

My question is the initial riveting of the rear spar to the left top skin or right bottom skin. Why do they say to shim up the front part of the ribs? The special bucking bar doesn't have the right angle to set the rivets in that location? How does Vans want you to rivet those?

Can you back rivet those rivets, with one of the special bucking techniques shown on the following 3 pages of the WIKI?

The special bucking bar doesn't have the right angle to set the rivets in that location? How does Vans want you to rivet those?

Can you back rivet those rivets, with one of the special bucking techniques shown on the following 3 pages of the WIKI?
Are you talking about the work on 09-18? You are right, you'll have to squeeze or use gun and a bar for these. The spar is in the way for any back riveting, so that option is out.
Why do they say to shim up the front part of the ribs?
The shim is so you keep everything straight and don't put a twist in my opinion. I have a carpet on my table, off the edge a few inches, so that's good enough for me. No twist added in both times I've built elevators.

Are you talking about the work on 09-18? You are right, you'll have to squeeze or use gun and a bar for these. The spar is in the way for any back riveting, so that option is out.

The shim is so you keep everything straight and don't put a twist in my opinion. I have a carpet on my table, off the edge a few inches, so that's good enough for me. No twist added in both times I've built elev
I thought maybe to back rivet this way, as shown in the WIKI.

Attachments

• 1722018310539.png
    1722018310539.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 0
I don’t know anyone who has done it that way. And my guess is harder then gun and bar.

Back