What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator leading edge dimpled OR NOT dimpled?

bendun

Are the holes in the leading edge skins supposed to be dimpled?

Page 9-7 says : "dimple the holes in the E-1001A and E1001B skins".

I am looking at the AD-41-ABS Pop-Rivets and they do NOT look like they are flush rivets.

Help!

Dimple or no dimple?

...(as you have surmised), that depends on the rivet callouts, so stick with proper hole prep based on the rivet called for.

Early on, the instructions will call out dimpling or no dimpling, but as you move through the plans, this will happen less and less often. You will be required to understand what you need to do and when you need to do it (i.e. breaking the skin edges), based on the hardware called for. Enjoy!

Well, that was why I was asking. I have poured over the plans and don't see anywhere that says the leading edge holes should NOT be dimpled. I was just hoping that someone might point me in the right direction.

You had it right..

Well, that was why I was asking. I have poured over the plans and don't see anywhere that says the leading edge holes should NOT be dimpled. I was just hoping that someone might point me in the right direction.

..if the rivets don't need dimpling, then no dimpling it is..

You have to do some serious rolling to form the leading edges and any c/s would interfere with that. I'm pretty sure I used LP3 rivets - they end up being faired by the HS anyway. Was a long time ago ........

As Mike said, you also need to put a slight bend in the overlapping skin to prevent it popping proud

Back