What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Horns

Dave Taylor

Well Known Member
I know nothing about welding. It appears I have a crack in the weld. Has anyone seen this on their elevator horns?

If it is at the area I am thinking about, it is normal.
I seem to remember Van's stops the weld where
the bearing will be mounted close to the torque tube.
I would call them Monday and verify it.
Tom

I will say this, mine are welded all the way around. I went out and looked at a set of RV6 horns I have in the garage and they are welded all the way around too.

It's ok.

Hi Dave,

We build these horns in my shop hear in Ridgefield WA, this is how it?s supposed to be, the weld is left off in this spot for clearance to the bolt that connects the horns together to the bearing. Sometimes if the tube is not perfectly square on the end there can be a small gap between the stamping and the end of the tube, also on occasion the gap gets missed and welded closed so it is possible you could get one with the gap and one without. In any case your golden, keep pounding those rivets!

Russ

PS

PS, we have only been leaving this gap for the past several years so there are a good 12 to 15,000 horns out there welded solid.

Russ

Thanks Russ,
That's the answer I was hoping for. When I looked at the other horn the gap wasn't there but upon close inspection I can at least see that the weld is not on that one either it just didn't have the gap. I appreciate the quick reply so I didn't have to wait for Van's to be open. I can drill it today! :)

Hi Dave,

We build these horns in my shop hear in Ridgefield WA, this is how it?s supposed to be, the weld is left off in this spot for clearance to the bolt that connects the horns together to the bearing. Sometimes if the tube is not perfectly square on the end there can be a small gap between the stamping and the end of the tube, also on occasion the gap gets missed and welded closed so it is possible you could get one with the gap and one without. In any case your golden, keep pounding those rivets!

Russ

Back