What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Horn Pivot Point

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
Problem:

Drilled my elevator horns after setting bearings to the .875 dim on the print however did not rig to horizontal. Once rigged to horizontal, leading edge of elevators are too close to the aft spar of the horizontal.

Solution:

Installed .100 shim under center hinge. This solution leaves the elevators in the correct location relative to the horizontal however it does move the rotation point .100 aft. It also requires adjusting the rod end bearings .100 in the torque tube.

Seems simple and worked well.

New Problem: After calling and discussing with Vans they suggest welding up the holes in the elevator horns and re-drilling vs. the shim option.

Has anyone else done something similar.

GreyHawk10

Note to future builders...

You may need to adjust rod ends one or two threads out to get clearance between rolled leading edge and rear spar. Same goes for rudder. Check for this before drilling horns.

Mine drag slightly and it's something that is on my punch list to get resolved.

My plan was to re-roll those leading edges so they're tighter. As they stand right now, they are sprung together (more than laying on top of one another nicely).

I think if I did a better job of rolling those edges, I could knock off at least .25" and have a perfectly fine gap.

My hole is already drilled too, so I'm going to try and find a way to make it work with that hole. :(

Phil

PHIL,

I also have considered re-rolling the leading edge and leaving the hole in the same place. It seemed shiming out the center fitting was a simple fix but it looks like I either need to weld up the holes or re-roll. Still trying to decide.

Pat

Back