What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Horn Main Bearing

Berchmans

Well Known Member
I am at the point were I am fitting up the elevators. I have them installed and distances correct so that the elevator horns line up nicely. However I note that the the elevator horns that I have are not pre-drilled for the installation of the AN 4 bolt that joins the two elevators through the main support bearing in the center. This is not the point were the control rod will attach but the bearing above were the elevators are joined. I have looked through the plans and instructions but can find no information or references to drilling those holes. Any suggestions from the membership would be most appreciated..........

It's there

I don't have my reference handy, but the instructions are in the narrative plans with references to the drawing.
If I recall correctly, you must position each elevator precisely the same on each side. I used a micrometer or an accurate rule to make sure the rod end bearings were all threaded the same. With one, and then the other elevator mounted, you use the center bearing as a drill guide. Look at it closely and make sure the completed hole leaves enough edge distance on the elevator horn for the bolt head and nut that will go through all three pieces. Mine turned out very close, but doable. You can use a small piece of tubing as a drill guide in the center bearing initially, then enlarge the hole after a pilot is drilled.

Again, pour over the instructions... it's in there somewhere.

Good luck.

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I didn't build the emp. as I purchased the kit from an individual had done most of the work on it already. I just had to do the tips and then start on the wings. I figured that there was a method but I had not come across it in the documentation so far...this type of reponse is what makes this website great. It has saved me hundreds of dollars so far in not having to order replacement parts...it's 10 below here right now.......

Hello Burke,

I used a transfer punch set for this.
I attached the elevator to the horizontal stabilizer (one at a time) and used a correct sized transfer punch to mark the centre on the horn from the other side. I then dismounted the elevator and repeated the action on the other side. I then used progressively larger drills to drill the elevator horns.
This worked out great for me.

Kind regards,
Duncan

Success

Thanks for all the input. I made a bushing out of 1/4" tubing. Drilled pilot holes and removed the elevators for final drilling. The holes lined up perfectly and the elevator moves freely with no binding...Drilling the lower attachement point went well too. Followed the directions and edge distance on all holes came out just fine...working on controls now.

elivator

be sure to shim the center elevator horns when attaching to the center bearing, if the bolt pulls the elevators together it will bind the other bearings and cause elevator to not move freely. Dennis

All done

I did the spaces by super glueing the requisit number so washers together...worked great...also note it is a good idea to put some paper towels under your work area so you don't have to fish the washers out from under the tailwheel housing........

drilling elevator control horns

after marking and drilling the elevator control horns I find that I am misaligned by about 1/16th inch. Is there a solution, or a problem elongating the hole 1/16th ? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Fix

I believe the fix is to take them to a welder and have the holes filled. File smooth and redrill. Repaint.

be sure to shim the center elevator horns when attaching to the center bearing, if the bolt pulls the elevators together it will bind the other bearings and cause elevator to not move freely. Dennis

+1. This has been commented on by the IAs that post here. They have seen a number of RV's without the requisite washers between the bearing and the horns.

Back