What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator hinge line correction

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
I messed up the drilling of the Elvator Horn WD-605-R1. Although I got acceptable elevator deflection, the elevator did start to chafe on the upper inside at about 25* up deflection. Now I had a closer look and I found that the drilled hole is not in the correct location. So when I pull the hinge bolt out of the center bearing all is o.k. It is embarrassing but I did drill the hole in the wrong location somehow. I attach a picture on which I marked where the hole should approximately be.
So I am looking for a solution to get this straight. I am thinking of enlarging the hole and insert a selfmade bushing. I e-mailed Vans, still waiting for answer.
Any input is welcome.

IMG_1411.jpg

Easy fix

Herman,

You are not alone in this situation. Many have done something similar, including me.

The solution is an easy one. Just take the elevator to a local welder and get the hole plugged. I had TIG welding done and then ground it flat again.

Check the VAF Archives, there are many post about this.

Good luck.

Some thing similar to Sean's suggestion, though I would weld a small piece of 4130 chromoly (1"x 1") or some thing that fits the place on top of the hole and then redrill it. If you are going this route, the powder coating needs to come off so make sure you prime and take care of the horn well for future protection against rust.

I asked Van?s for a solution and they said to weld the hole closed and redrill which I did. It cost me four hours work, measuring, measuring and measuring again and finally do it. Here are the pictures of the welded and redrilled hole and after painting. It came out really nice, almost no difference in the finish.

E_032edit.jpg

Welded, grinded, sanded and redrilled

E_033edit.jpg

Painted again

We're in good company

Pretty common. As said. I got the hole welded and redrilled in the proper location. Use a new drill bit for the initial hole.
Not much of an issue. Been there done that. Good luck:)

Back