What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator E-903 to Skin Rivet

Husker'87

All,

I am having some difficulty getting the last AN426AD3-3.5 rivet driven in the E-903. I can drive the one for the top skin, but that reduces the space that I have for diving the one one the bottom skin. I have tried a couple times using either the toe of one of my bucking bars or a piece of steel that I have ground down to fit into the space. Both had to be drilled out as the head was lifted out slightly. I am looking guidance to get the last rivet driven.

I can post pictures later, but I wanted to get this posted.

This is the rivet in question.
Capture.png

Thanks for the help,
John

Are you back riveting it? I had this same issue with my rudder and back riveted it with a chisel on top of the shop head.

I am a big, fat liar... I could have sworn I used a pulled rivet but turns out I used a driven rivet.

I used an old wood chisel. I used the grinder to dull the edge and then put a couple pieces of duct tape on the tip of the chisel to avoid scarring the rib. Elevator goes on top of the back-rivet plate. Chisel goes on top of the shop-side of the rivet. Rivet gun driving on top of Chisel.

You might want to try a few test pieces because the chisel tends to drift a bit. You want to keep it pretty flat and steady.

This is a bit of a pain but once it's done, you'll quickly forget about it :)

Here's an EAA video that covers this very thing...

http://eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=5337092001

Last edited:
Thanks for the link! I will give that a try and let you know how it goes!

I am a big, fat liar... I could have sworn I used a pulled rivet but turns out I used a driven rivet.

I used an old wood chisel. I used the grinder to dull the edge and then put a couple pieces of duct tape on the tip of the chisel to avoid scarring the rib. Elevator goes on top of the back-rivet plate. Chisel goes on top of the shop-side of the rivet. Rivet gun driving on top of Chisel.

You might want to try a few test pieces because the chisel tends to drift a bit. You want to keep it pretty flat and steady.

Same here....... Get used to using a chisel or some other tool creatively as a bucking bar. The are a couple rivets in each kit that you have to get creative with.

Back