What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Counterbalance Question

Phil

Well Known Member
I'm at the section of trimming and attaching the counterbalance weights in the elevator. I get nervous about trimming the weights without having a chance to balance the control surface first.

Question: If I trim to the plans, am I still going to have to remove some of the weight later with a drill? Or is it possible that I could be too light?

Just curious, because I don't want to trim to plan and then find out that I have too little weight down the line.

BTW - I'm assuming everyone trimmed with their bandsaw. Correct?

TIA,
Phil

If you have to use a drill and make it look like swiss cheese, just take some white chauking and fill the holes. It turns out pretty cool looking.

Bandsaw works.

Thanks Larry....

Do the initial trim plans make for too much weight? I'm not going to remove too much, am I?

Phil

I saw that

I used a hacksaw to cut off the ends, and a die grinder to whack away at the hump. I aint got a band saw.

I used a bandsaw and a file. Also you are trimming to make them fit, not just to take off weight. If you do it according to the plans you won't have anything to worry about.

I just finished doing this.

I ruined a bandsaw blade cutting the lead. Not being able to slow it, it was too fast, tended to melt the lead and build up slag on the lead weights jamming the bandsaw and resolidify on the blade. Finally I wised up and used a hacksaw. Just as easy. You'll want to use a cheap file for final trimming and to smooth the cuts anyway, as well as a small round file to make channels or slots where the rivet heads are.

I wouldn't worry about the weight at this stage. You can always drill holes to remove if too heavy. Too light? Add a single nutplate so you can easily attach more weight later. I put the nutplate on the inboard side so the new weights would be on side of the removable fiberglass tip.

control surface balance

Have you seen any info on any of the control surfaces on balance them on the rv 10 if so where the only thing I have found is in the test fight on flutter !!

Have you seen any info on any of the control surfaces on balance them on the rv 10 if so where the only thing I have found is in the test fight on flutter !!
If you are building an RV-10, all you have to do is check out the "FINAL INSPECTION AND FLIGHT TEST" section that came with the plans. Under 'Flight Controls:' you will find all the figures for balancing the Elevator, Aileron, and Rudder.

can not find balance info

the only info in the final inspection and flight test talks only about flutter
and nothing about the balance to be done before flight !!!

balance

I have previously help build an RV 9 and the only balance we did was to insuure that when the elevators are rigged and free (prior to hooking up the control rods) the trailing edge will drop. If the leading edge drops you have a problem. The 9 flies in perfect trim.

chisel works

I used a chisel to shave off lead curls. Takes a bit but smooth on top when done.

Back