What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Counter Weight

TroyBranch

Well Known Member
Friend
Just curious if any of you added more counterweight to the elevator than Van's supplied. I know I could add a bit more to get it to balance perfectly. On my RV9, I had to drill some of the lead out to make it perfect but on the RV10 there just was not enough weight. What have you guys noticed? I am thinking of adding a bit more to get it balanced perfect before paint paint (Paint may change it again) but I am not sure if it is worth the trouble. Balanced controlled surfaces are important for flutter. Just not sure how far to go with this on the RV10.

If you look at any picture of any RV10 you will notice that all the elevators are facing downward when parked with no adverse affects. Mine is also facing down when assembled(although not flying yet) I dont have any concerns.

Steven Stella
#40654 Wings
#N521RV reserved

I had to add 1 1/2 pound on one I'm helping build. The owner glassed the rivets and put a bunch of paint...

I don't want to make light of the situation but the weight in is going to be heavy :)

Van's calls for the RV-10 elevator to the TE heavy; not neutral.

That's the reason no more weight is added.

Back