What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Control Horn Weldments

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
Guys-
Am I being too picky here? When riveting on the elevator weldments (control horns)... Shouldn't the shop heads be on the outside seeing as though the weldment is the thicker material? Just wondering if my school day education is getting the best of me & my build. :confused: I've been look at a few build sites & everyone seems to have the manu head on the outside.

Not enough space for the gun?

Don't quote me too literally on this since I do not have my plans with me at the moment, but I think that you do it this way primarily because there is not enough room to fit the gun with the AN470 rivet set in the inside of the elevator frame with the bucking bar on the outside.

When in doubt I try to use the following rules in the order shown:

1. Order as called out in the plans
2. Manufactured head on the side with thinnest material
3. However you can best fit the gun and bar to get the job done

It is much easier to get the bucking bar inside that acute angle of the elevator frame than it would be to fit the rivet gun in there, and I also think that Van's calls it out this way in the plans (but check me on that). I use a tungsten bucking bar that has an angled surface on one end, which also really helped me set these rivets without dinging anything in the process.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
+1 what he said. To completely mangle Captain Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean, "the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the VAF, Mr. S." ;)

Back