What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

elevator bend

Trevor778

Well Known Member
I just bent my elevators and everything looks great! I used the 1/8 dowel as recommended in the search and I couldn't be happier. The only thing I need a little clarification on is when I lined up the spar the skins sit up approx 3/4", and that's being generous, it's more like a half. I removed the dowel and re pressed from both the top and bottom till the stiffeners bottomed out. I remember reading that the skins should rest with no tension. Will the 1/2"-3/4" give me any grief down the road? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Trev

I had that problem on my -6A. I left the dowel in the trailing edge and positioned it so it was about 1/2 inch into the bending brake, not all the way in. A careful press (it took a fair amount of pressure, but you don't want to put a crease where the brake ends) finished wrapping the bend around the dowel enough to lay on the spars when assembled. It isn't much of a difference and I doubt it would give you any trouble if you stopped where you are.

that is what I was hoping to hear. The trailing edge is perfectly straight and I dont think I want to mess with it. Building on.

Back