What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator bend radius

jdeas

Well Known Member
Guys,
The is my first elevator. While I have a flat line across the surface the end radius worries me. Can someone tell me if this is close to the proper bend? The fuzzy item to the left is a 6" ruler. :confused:
0317070624vx5.jpg

Thanks.
JD

Up early

Boy, your up early. I'm waiting for the fog to clear at WHP. Gives me too much time to ponder......

Try...

If you're looking for a tighter radius (say 1/8") tape a 1/4" diameter dowel at the bend and apply a little pressure with 2x4 which spans the entire trailing edge. The dowel will keep the trailing edge from creasing or cracking but be CAREFUL! Thicker sheets of aluminum cannot take such a tight radius. The majority of the skins in the empenage should not be a problem though.

Good luck and happy building. :D

When it clears c'mon down to CNO. I'm heading to the hangar now to wrap up an oil change & some minor maintenance. If you want you can check out the bend radius on my half-arse RV-7's surfaces. Flies great as-is (fast, too). :D Not trying to downplay the importance of being conscious of things that affect flying qualities, but it's something about a farm tractor rather than a Swiss watch...something like that...

FredMagare said:
If you're looking for a tighter radius (say 1/8")
Might just be my aging eyes or a fuzzy photo, but it looks to me like he's already got a 1/8" radius, maybe even a shade tighter than that.

Radius

It's a tad over 1/8th.
Dan,
Love to come by one day but today I'm heading north to O22 (Columbia) for some camping. Good news is a jump over the hills tomorrow to Mono lake looks good. Bad news is I'm stuck @ 120Knots 13gph (maule)

Thanks for the input guys.
JD

Back