What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Bellcrank Too Narrow for Rod-End

Noah

Well Known Member
My Elevator Bellcrank on my 7A measures .380" inside between flanges on the top where the rear pushrod rod-end engages the bellcrank. The rod end is a half inch thick, so it won't fit. I didn't build the bellcrank (bought project from previous builder), but I thought the bellcrank sheet-metal bends were done at the factory. Has anybody else seen this? The riveted spacer between these flanges matches the plans, so that's not the problem. Other than this, the parts match the drawings.

I'm thinking I'll have to remove the bellcrank and re-bend the flanges, but this doesn't seem right to me, if the original bends were factory-made. If these bends are done by the builder, problem solved. I've searched the archives extensively, but found nothing. Are the bellcrank bends done by the builder (I could find nothing in the plans or manual which indicate this) or the factory?

Other ideas?

Thanks,

Noah Forden
RV-7A Finishing
Rhode Island USA

Mine fit right in.. those bends are pre-done at factory.. are you using correct rod-end?

did the other rod-end fit OK?

Yes, I've verified the rod end is correct. Drawing 38 Calls out 2X MD3616 pushrods for F-790 (elevator pushrod), and page 5-15 of the manual describes all of the rod ends used on the aircraft. MD3616 are listed as 1/2 in. thick, and this is what mine measure. But my bellcrank is < 0.4 in. internally.

The south end of the rod end engaging the elevator horns has lots of clearance. However, Vans calls out an AN3-10A, which is too short, and no washers or spacers are specified. I think others have built spacers here, but the drawings don't say either way.

All I can think of is that the previous builder rebent the bellcrank flanges thinking that a different rod end was to be used, but that seems awfully unlikely to me.

Noah

I forget which one, but one of my bearings was a tight fit into that elevator bellcrank as well. Perhaps not as severely as yours -- I was able to force the ball of the bearing into the bellcrank, pushing the ears outward a little bit.

It seemed to me that those ears were not bent correctly by Van's.

OK, I re-bent the flanges without too much trouble.

Are you using spacers or washers at the pushrod rod end to elevator horn interface (again, the drawings don't specify anything).

Thanks again,

Noah

I had the same problem with my RV10 bellcrank. Vans finally admitted an error in production. Had to re-bend the blades on mine.

Back