What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Bellcrank to Pushrod - Where did this step go?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
In the older plans (2004 version), step 39-9 showed the hardware necessary to attach the pushrods to the elevator bellcrank (see picture below). However, in my plans as of 2008, this page only shows the seperation measurement of the control sticks and has no reference to this step. Further, I can't find where in the build process this has now been moved to. Does anyone know if this exists in a step for plans dated 08 or newer?

bellcrank.jpg

Last edited:
Page 39-10

Mark, The page you are looking for is 39-10 which should be on the backside of 39-9 on your plans. I sent you a pic of the page you need via email since there are a few more items to do on that page (measuring jig, safetying, etc). Hope this helps.

Actually, that's not the step. I am referring to where the plans specify the AN3-10A bolt and nut to attach the pushrod to the bellcrank in the tail - the tray that holds the battery box. 39-10 covers the hardware to the forward control sticks.

My apologies!

Mark,
I wasn't able to open your images via the link and misunderstood the area you were referring to. Regarding the elevator bellcrank pushrod hardware, I was also unable to find it during my search and assumed it will show up later. I am looking forward to an answer!

Can't see the image and I don't have my plans with me. But I'm pretty sure it's called out somewhere in section 11.

Ok, I think I fixed the photo link. If you look at image above you can see I am referring to the pushrod from the forward fuselage connecting to the bellcrank. Section 11 is the pushrod from the elevator to the bellcrank.

Last edited:
Update: I stopped by Vans to chat about this. The plans at the counter were the 04 version so it took some persuading to go look at the plans they are shipping (2008) and indeed the step isn't there as I pointed out. They were a bit uncertain of what happened and pressured me that it must exist somewhere. To which I re-stated I looked through all the other steps from the point the push tube was created as well as anything else dealing with the bellcrank area.

So for the time being they promised they would research what happened and let me know. I'll update the thread if/when they get back to me.

Verification

I checked my plans last night and mine also have the step missing like yours. I too am working on Section 39 but I just finished up making the torque tubes and had not gotten to the missing step you pointed out. The reason for that is like you do my "reading ahead" using the 04 versions so I had not discoverd the discrepancy yet.

I fitted this just last week but am now away from home so can't check on my plans. As far as I can remember, it was iin "Control System" but cannot quote the numbers right now. Again, can't state whether my plans are pre or post 2008. Anyway, its a AN3-10 with one washer....

Bill,
Read post #7. 11-6 shows the F-1091 pushrod connetion between the elevator horn and the bellcrank which is the one above the battery box/bell crank mount. What we're referring to is the F-1090 pushrod (mid) connection that's underneath the battery box/bell crank mount. No big deal really as it's a 10A bolt, 960-10 washer, and 365-1032 nut as previously mentioned. Just interesting that the step has disappeared in later versions of the plans.

Thanks Paul, you must have the 04 plans as Control System is section 39. In the 08 plans, the step is missing now. It would be good to know if you verify it when you return home.

Won't be back in UK for another month - taking delivery of the engine then :D

SOMEONE must be able to come up with an answer.......

Back