What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Balanceing

funnyb0nz

I'm New Here
So I have picked up this RV7 and been going through the instructions to make sure previous owners work was according to plans. He has painted it, and I am mounting the Horizonal and installing the elevators. For balancing them and drilling holes in the lead weight, I am assuming that you do one at a time with out having both elevators hooked up? Also what size holes are you guys drilling, and roughly how deep and how many? If anyone happens to have pictures that would be great. We had a fly in today at our airport and there were 4 rvs, I looked at thier's and out of 4 only 1 person did the drilling in the lead. The other guys said it really did'nt matter? I am one for doing what the plans call out. Thanks and Happy 4th!

So I have picked up this RV7 and been going through the instructions to make sure previous owners work was according to plans. He has painted it, and I am mounting the Horizonal and installing the elevators. For balancing them and drilling holes in the lead weight, I am assuming that you do one at a time with out having both elevators hooked up? Also what size holes are you guys drilling, and roughly how deep and how many? If anyone happens to have pictures that would be great. We had a fly in today at our airport and there were 4 rvs, I looked at thier's and out of 4 only 1 person did the drilling in the lead. The other guys said it really did'nt matter? I am one for doing what the plans call out. Thanks and Happy 4th!
The balancing need to be done for each individual side without connecting them together. If it has been painted and depending on the type of paint , chances are that you will need to add some weight to the pilot side and the co-pilot side will be just balanced as is. So, mount the elevator and see how far off balance they are. If it is forward heavy, drill a small hole in the lead to remove some material, if trailing edge heavy, you will need to add weight.

Good luck

Don’t get carried away. If the elevator balance is in the ball park I recommend you not screw up the paint job trying to add weight.

The objective here is to mitigate flutter, not achieve a perfect static balance.
Carl

I've just done this on my elevators and the left side balanced without removing any weight. It is fitted with electric trim if that makes any difference.
I expect i'll need to add some weight after paint.
The RH side needed some removed, pretty much as per the drawings, it's currently slightly nose heavy, but I'm hoping with paint it will balance out.

Attachments

• 20240623_165433.jpg
    20240623_165433.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
I've just done this on my elevators and the left side balanced without removing any weight. It is fitted with electric trim if that makes any difference.
I expect i'll need to add some weight after paint.
The RH side needed some removed, pretty much as per the drawings, it's currently slightly nose heavy, but I'm hoping with paint it will balance out.
You are on the right track.
Do yourself a favor, before install the elevator end caps, install a couple of nut plates on each side close to the existing weight. This way, if you need to add more weight then it is simply a matter of bolting it on and it will be very secure.

I had to drill the starboard. Sprewd the holes out. It was heavy. I stopped right about balanced then filled the holes with flox as a structural support. Probably not needed, but recommendation was to balance slightly weight heavy. Finished with micro and touch up paint. Cut and buffed. Can't tell where it was drilled.

Left has a nutplate. I forged a lead washer and attached it with a large washer and blue loctite. Combined, they are a touch weight heavy.

You are on the right track.
Do yourself a favor, before install the elevator end caps, install a couple of nut plates on each side close to the existing weight. This way, if you need to add more weight then it is simply a matter of bolting it on and it will be very secure.
Thanks, however the previous owner already finished these up and painted. I am just going through the plans and makeing sure all is right and the elevator was not balanced. However that is a great idea if I ever plan to do a future build ground up.

Back