What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator balance

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me if the RV-10's elevators are balances, or checked for balance later on in the process? We only have the empenage plans so far. The reason for asking is that one E-912 (fairing ) is 3/16" short and I prefered to build it up with solid glass rather than a light filler. I felt that the glass would stay on much better. I thought that if the layup was heavy I would just remove a little lead from the counterweight which is in the same location.
Thanks Ron

There are lead weights in the elevator counterbalance extensions.

You dont say if you are intending on putting the additional material on the fiberglass tip------front or rear.

Front will help balance, rear is going to be a really small quantity, so probably will not make any difference anyway.

Good luck.

Mike
I have extra glass in the front, up near where the lead weight is.I'm wandering if I have too much weight, due to the extra glass?

Elevator Balance

I do not have any of my books here, but the elevator is not "balanced" but it does need to be heavy in one direction . I can not remember if it is up or down. But it is a lot. I added fiberglass to both ends of mine and it did not affect the balance. Sorry I was not more help. There was some disucssion of this on the Matronics rv-10 list a while back, I am sure you could find something in the archive.

Back