What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Attachment

ssisca

Page 11-2, step 3. calls for the temporary attachment of the elevator to the Horizontal Stab. There should be a 1/8" gap between the outboard edge of the H.S. and the Inboard edge of the elevator counterbalance arm. I have been unable to achieve a consistent 1/8" gap along the entire counterbalance arm. I have an 1/8" at the trailing edge of the elevator but only a 1/16" at the oposite end out by the counterbalace weight. Any suggestions on how to achieve a consistent 1/8" gap would be much appreciated.

Have you verified that the rod-end-bearings on the Elevator are evenly spaced from the spar. This may account for a tiny bit of that difference. I think the main cause would be how the counterbalance arms were riveted on. I have seen them quite warped before assembly to the elevator and very straight after, but it would require that the holes be well-matched and not oversized, which could allow for some slop while riveting. You might check with Van's, but if you have the clearance, then you are probably fine. Just make sure that there isn't enough movement to allow the elevator to hit the HS during flight, which could be a very bad thing.

Back