What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator arms

mbetti

I put my elevators on the stab today to drill the center pivot. I notice that the arms don't line up too well, one is quite a bit higher than the other, not sure if it's the weld job or what it is. Anyone else see this. I put a straight edge across the stab spars and the elevator spars on both sides and it appears they are symetrical.
Mike

Most are not symmetrical

Mike, before you drill your elevator brackets, clamp both left and right elevators where they meet the outward edge of the HS. Then after both are clamped "in trail" prefecty in plane with the HS then you can use Vans method for drilling the brackets. Many of us have drilled a degree or so off angle and had to re-weld one side of the elevator bracket. Take your time, use a hardwood drill block (drilled to size with a drill press) and drill prefectly horizontaly...no sweat!
Regards.

I did install the elevators independently as written and drilled the arms. I then mounted both elevators and find the bolt lines up perfectly but one arm is higher than the other. If I try and pull the arms to line up, I am misaligning the main spars. I'd send a pick but I don't have privileges on this site.
Mike

If the bolt lines up, then you probably don't have a problem. With the bolt in, move the elevators through their range. If there's no binding and the elevators are in trail in both the up and down positions, you are fine. The horns don't have to line up perfectly for the elevators to operate properly and no one will see them under the fairing. When you go to drill the lower holes for the elevator pushrod bearing, drill the aft-most horn to ensure both horns have the proper edge clearance.

No binding, i can move the elevator up and down and the bolt stays free in all positions.
Mike

Back