What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator and Rudder Balance Question

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
Since my fuse and wing kit are a month late I decided to use the down time to do a little pre-paint work on the empenage. I ran 2 inch glass cloth 6 oz. strip around the elevator tips and all the rest of the fiberglass fairing attachment points to stabilize the joint, and using body filler, faired them into there respective control surfaces. I would like to check the balance of the control surfaces to verify them prior to paint, which will occur way in the future.
I do not have the final inspection and flight test document yet, but do understand that the elevator is 37.5 inch lbs and the rudder 30.8 inch lbs.

Does Vans provide a procedure to check the balance after finish and paint? Has anyone checked this after body work and paint and had to add or remove weight?
Bill

I had the same questions about control surface balancing prior to painting.
I phoned Van's and the guy who answered (Gus, I believe) said it is a non issue on the RV designs. He claimed that certain other aircraft are quite sensitive but not the RVs. I hope someone with experience chimes in to confirm this.

I don't know if I read your question correctly. Are you talking 'weight and balance' or control surface balancing?

Not familiar with balancing the 10s, but it's common to add weight after painting.....especially if you removed some originally. I had to add about 5 oz. back to my RV6A elevators after paint.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I am really looking for the spec and the procedure to check the balance at this point. I thought that the RV-10 wanted a trailing edge heavy by a minimum amount.

Follow-Up....

I spoke to Joe at Vans, who emailed me the data. It appears that the limits are specified as follows; Balance limit (in-lb) trailing edge heavy.

Elevators 37.5
Rudder 30.8
Aileron 16.8

Last edited:
Back