What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrostatic spray painting

BobCollins(AA)

Well Known Member
Has anyone painted an airplane using electrostatic paint spray gun. Used on car to give a shiny finish. Very little over spray since the paint is electrically charged and the surface being painted is grounded

I have never hear of this but it looks very cool, seems that it still requires a bit of art to get it on with no complications but it is very clean. Only downside is the cost, looks about $5-$6,000 just for the equipment. Now if you could rent it somewhere thats a different story.

-david

How much does it cost to have your airplane painted? Maybe a $3,000.00 investment is not so bad specially if you sell it afterward if you cannot lease one.
Just food for thought

When I started out in the aircraft paint business it was doing airliners with Graco electrostatic spray equipment. Way overkill for a little RV. They spray a lot of paint over a big area. The best HVLP or compliant spray gun you can buy is vastly cheaper than a electrostatic. Your finish will be better and the job will go easier.

When I was a kid(a long time ago) our next door neighbor was developing the electrostatic paint process in his garage. It was pretty cool as he was always blowing up or setting on fire lots of stuff. Sold the process to Detroit as I recall, and moved to the high rent district.

In more recent times, when I was still a working stiff, we had a electrostatic painter come in one night and paint all of the metal file cabinets and desks in our office. No mess, no fuss.

I bet you could hire one of those guys to spray your plane.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Your airplane would be grounded during painting. The paint is given a small electric charge as it leaves the paint gun. Just like picking up a dropped nut with a magnet the paint is drawn to the surface of the aircraft. Depending on the paint and equipment used, transfer efficiency can get over 70%.

Back